small cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ConanTheLibraia

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am extremely inexperienced with cichlids (means I've never had any) and I am doing a 10 gallon for my room. Are there any types of cichlids that are small enough to live happily in a 10 gallon tank? I am going for multiple fish so I wouldn't want just one fish in the tank.

I love the Bolivian Rams I got! I think you could get away with a pair but in a tank that small, I'd sure try for a male and a female. Mine are even getting territorial in the 30 gallon tank I have them in.

They're cool, though, and not as shy as the German Rams. In fact, if I put my hand in the tank to adjust a plant or something, one of the Bolivians will come right up to it to see what I'm doing. He's not scared of me at all!

Neo. Multifascitus are shell dwellers from lake tangayika and do great in a ten gallon. just get shells large enough for them to fit in and they are fine.

I'd also recommend L. mulitfasciatus. You can keep a small colony in a ten gallon and they're amazing to watch! :D

This will depend upon your water. Soft and acidic, go for the kribs or the rams, hard and alkaline, go for the shellies!

Don't forget the Apistogramma, Lovely little Dwalf cichlid from South America. It requires soft, slightly acidic water.

Back
Top Bottom