Small Labs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have three yellow labs that just do not seem to be growing. All of my other cichlids look to be growing just fine. I have had them since February 15th, and they are very very small. Probably the size of a tetra. When should I start to see significant growth?

**These guys also have an inward curve of their bellies.**

I'm not sure about the inward curve (possibly something wrong with them), but I bought my group of Yellow labs as juveniles (all were 1.5-2") and most of them have grown, but I still have a couple that are just now 2.5" or so and have only grown maybe an inch since I got them. I think some fish just grow slower than others.

I'll let someone else figure out the inward curve thing though....doesn't sound good. :(

Are you making sure they all eat? I'm sure you are, but its just a thought. I have to make sure some of my smaller fish (especially Eureka Peacocks) eat because the others are so voracious when it comes to feeding time.

Have you seen them poo? Sometimes fish with internal parasites will actually eat more because the parasite consumes allo the food. I'd try feeding them some medicated food for parasites as a precaution.

No, I haven't seen them poo ever actually for some reason. While they are eating and about 5 minutes after, I watch my fish. Usually my zebras are the fist to go, then various times I view my fish I catch my bumblebees doing it. I can never remember time where I've seen the labs poop. We also mentioned in the past that they could have TB. Would that actually stunt their growth?

Generally internal parasites are the cause of concave bellies.
However, be aware that there is a "wasting disease" which is unexplainable and to my knowledge, uncureable.

Also, some fish arew just slow growers mate. Much like you have short people and tall people.

Back
Top Bottom