Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raiden362

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Need stocking ideas for Cichlids. If Compatible, I'd like at add a pair of Angels also. Looking for colorful and active middle swimmers.

60Gal wide, Temp is steady at 78F, PH steady at 7.4, Amm 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20. Running 1 Marineland Penguin350 HOB filter, but am adding another of the exact same of filter tomorrow afternoon. I have a set of small rocks and also getting a good sized medium/large rock tomorrow afternoon.

With your PH, I would look at smaller C and S Amer cichlids. Not sure how any of them would do with angels, as I've never kept angels. Rainbow cichlids, Rams, Firemouths, Nics . . .the list goes on, are all fairly peaceful for cichlids, and may do OK with angels, but I would monitor closely.

With your PH, I would look at smaller C and S Amer cichlids. Not sure how any of them would do with angels, as I've never kept angels. Rainbow cichlids, Rams, Firemouths, Nics . . .the list goes on, are all fairly peaceful for cichlids, and may do OK with angels, but I would monitor closely.
Thanks for the response.
It's not set in stone if I'll get Angels. Mainly depending on how many Cichlids I'll be able to stock. Just looking for that colorful, full look, without overstocking my tank.
Any advise of how many of each that you mentioned?

It depends on which fish you choose. CoralBandit is the expert on Rams. Rainbows and Firemouths do well in groups of 4 usually.

I recommend getting ram cichlids. I have electric blue and the rainbow ones. They school with each other and don't bother any others. Also they are very beautiful. They should get along very well.

You should also get a school of Cory cats. They stay small but are the perfect clean up crew for that size tank. They are small and peaceful but can protect themselves if needed from the angels.

I recommend getting ram cichlids. I have electric blue and the rainbow ones. They school with each other and don't bother any others. Also they are very beautiful. They should get along very well.
Tanks CamERER, yes I've been reading up on them(Rams) ever since I've made the posting. Looks like they are very hardy, peaceful and absolutely beautiful fish.
Although, I am getting mixed reviews as far as Compatibility goes. In 2 other forums I asked if it'll be ok to add a big school of Neon Tetras to go with the Rams and Angelfish. One forum said no, and the other said yes but just keep an eye for aggression since the Tetras may sometimes look like food. What would your input be on this?

Ah, yes, I've been hearing a lot about those Cory Cats. I'll read up on them tonight at work. Seems like they are an all time favorite for everyone.

So here's an idea I've been thinking about as far as stocking goes.
2-Angelfish
5-Rams (4 females, 1 male)
10-Neon Tetras(if compatible)
4-Cory Cats(once I do some research)

Overstocked? Understocked(room for more)? For a 60 Gal.
Running 2 HOB Filters now.

I don't keep angels, but I do know that they're opportunistic and willing piscivors. They'll eat your neons, or any fish small enough to fit into their mouths. Maybe think about a larger tetra like cardinals, instead of neons.

I don't think the neon tetras will do good. I like serpae tetras and black phantom tetras as schooling fish. They are the same fish but just different colors so they will school together nicely. I have kept Cory cat fish with a lot of things and they are very peaceful. They have a protective spike on their back fin as protection so they should do fine. No I don't think your tank would be over stocked. Just don't buy all the fish at the fish at the same time.

Send me a pic of the tank when it is set up. I'd like to see how it turns out!

Need stocking ideas for Cichlids. If Compatible, I'd like at add a pair of Angels also. Looking for colorful and active middle swimmers.

60Gal wide, Temp is steady at 78F, PH steady at 7.4, Amm 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20. Running 1 Marineland Penguin350 HOB filter, but am adding another of the exact same of filter tomorrow afternoon. I have a set of small rocks and also getting a good sized medium/large rock tomorrow afternoon.

I can recommend firemouths for your temp and tank size but they seem to roam the bottom areas unless you're feeding

Back
Top Bottom