Tank mates for Oscar and Oscar tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trevorSB1004

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone! My mom has considered buying a house with my Step Dad when our lease expires on this apartment. So you and I both know what that means. Big fish tank! It will most likely a 75 gallon, which has made me to consider getting an Oscar. Bombarding me with comments like "Oscars get massive! You may want to reconsider" or "Oscars are way too agressive" won't help me at all. I have done all my research and I know a good amount about this fish. Now, what would help me a great deal would be saying, as the title explains, good tank mates for and oscar. I have considered getting a common pleco, but I leave it up to you guys to validate that decision. Any other tank mate suggestions are appreciated. As for tips, what to feed Oscars (for example what you feed your Oscar), what type of gravel to use, and what decorations are suitable would also be helpful to me. Thanks for your time, and I look forward to reading your responses!

(I plan on putting two emperor 400 filters with media rings and activated carbon in case anyone thinks that I need more filtration, not that I think I do lol)

Sounds great! I have a 75 waiting for an oscar too! I'd consider a different tank mate though.. oscars are messy and commons are messier! Even with the 2 filters I feel you'll be battling water quality issues all the time..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok, thanks for the feedback! Think the water quality situation would be ok with just the oscar?

You'll still be doing weekly 50% wc's most likely.. you'll probably want to add a powerhead at the bottom for added flow.. what are you using for substrate?

I'd recommend pool filter sand for an oscar tank, they like to dig and throw decorations, gravel will also allow food and poo to fall to the bottom. A powerhead on a sandy bottom will keep stuff from settling and allow the filters to catch most waste.

Back
Top Bottom