Tank mates for Oscars?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Punkymom

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm thinking about upgrading to a 75 gal tank or maybe larger for my Oscars. I have 2 of them and a Pleco. What are some good tankmates for them if any? The tank will be bare bottomed to make cleaning easier. TIA

I think if you could get larger than a 75, like maybe a 90, that would be better, and if this is a common pleco then that will probably be it for the tank - just taking into account the full growth of the three fish.

I would also advocate a 90 gallon if you can spare a few more bucks. You'll like it a lot better, they have the same width and depth but are much taller. The water will stay cleaner.

I don't really advocate 3 oscars in a 90 gallon but I feel it is possible. 100+ gallons is more preferable but the 90 was the best I could do and they're growing really nice and have all reach 7+ inches in less than a year.

A convict trio has made a good addition to my tank, if you want my personal opinion. They can reach about five inches and have attitude to match the oscars. I'd suggest 2 females and a male. I have two males and a female and even though the tank is large they still sometimes fight over her.

If you got the trio and a 90 gallon, you'd have my setup minus one oscar ;P I have a gravel bottom though.

I was thinking the two oscars she has, plus the pleco. Nice call on the convicts - plus you won't have the pesky convict overpopulation issue that often arises.. :wink:

Yeah, I know ;P I forgot to mention the pleco, as I have one too. He keeps that tank spotless and cleans up after the oscars very nicely. I think the oscars are actually scared of him but I don't know why.

As I've said before, oscars are just cute little wimpy puppy dog fish :p All bark and no bite :p rofl.

Back
Top Bottom