Tankmate advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adkjoe

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55gallon with a large ~16" pleco (been trying to find a larger home for him but no luck yet) and a large Texas cichlid ~8". I just finally redid the whole tank with sand, rocks, etc... I'm looking to add maybe two more cichlids. I was thinking something like a convict and a fire mouth or something similar. Any reason why this wouldn't be a good idea with the two fish that are already in there or for any other reason? Thanks!

Is this a true Texas (Herichthys cyanoguttatus) or a green Texas (Herichthys carpintis)?

I guess I'm really not sure, they both look very similar. He is blue and looks like both. He looks more like the true Texas if I had to guess though.

Are you saying it would be difficult because of aggressiveness of the true texas vs the green?

I have a unknown small fish about 2" in size in the tank and the cichlid doesn't bother him at all.

A texas cichlid will tolerate a smaller non cichlid fish like maybe a barb of some type or something along those lines and won't act aggressive but will generally NOT accept any other cichlids.

Alright thank you. I was thinking either convicts or a red tailed shark maybe I will try the shark for now.

Well I ended up adding a convict and things seem to be working out just fine. The tank is big enough and theirs plenty of hiding spaces for him to be safe. I'm surprised though, the texas Cichlid which is a cyanoguttatus is not aggressive at all just very curious. He just follows the little convict around but keeps his distance. The convict is a brave little thing though.

Back
Top Bottom