Thinking it is time for a change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mom2reds

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I have a 100 gal. planted tank with sand blasting gravel for substrate and I have all ways just kept live bearers and tetras I would like to change to possibly cichlids but, what kind would you all suggest I would like something with color.

TIA

Discus have lots of color variations and a 100g would be perfect for a school of 5-10 adults. You should do lots of research on them before purchasing them though if you decide that you may be interested in them.

if its that black beauty stuff my first step would be remove it. do you want to keep your plants?

Discus are very beautiful fish but are not very active. The good part about discus is your current plant set up. MY favorite cichlids are african cichlids. They are colorful, easy to maintain and active.

Discus aren't very active huh? How many have you kept and on what are you basing this statement? Seems like all of the discus you have had experience with are ones in a LFS that are more than likely kept in groups of 6 in a 20H, not to mention that they are most likely diseased, stunted, and on their way out due to improper care. All of my discus readily greet me at the front of the tank whenever I walk past and if they are on the opposite end of the 100g tank they immediately swim to the other end of the tank closest to me to see what's going on. The will swim in front of the tank all lining up thinking they are getting food whenever someone walks by and I feed them at least 3 times per day. I wish I had a decent camera to show you what happens in that tank. There are often "skirmishes" between the fish and they have a well established pecking order that even I am familiar with and I know who the boss is in the tank.

Africans in general would not be suitable for the tank because they will make short work of the plants, and also because there are most likely numerous small tankmates such as tetras and small livebearers currently living in the setup.

While Africans have been known to eat plants, I have a planted tank with peacocks and they have never eaten a single plant. I have had this tank for over a year.

And lets not forget about Travis's Malawian Mbuna tank:

Travis_18.jpg

African's come in many different sizes and colors. A mixture of all male peacocks is quite the site, IMO.

I don't think that I really want to raise discus they are very pretty but they are so expensive that I think that they would cause problems with DH. What kinds of Africans do you suggest and would it be better if I started of with babies or juvies if I plan on trying to keep my plants. and do they prefer soft or hard water because our water here is very hard.

Thanks everyone for your advise sorry I have been working the last few days and unable to check back on here after posting.

I don't think that I really want to raise discus they are very pretty but they are so expensive that I think that they would cause problems with DH. What kinds of Africans do you suggest and would it be better if I started of with babies or juvies if I plan on trying to keep my plants. and do they prefer soft or hard water because our water here is very hard.

Thanks everyone for your advise sorry I have been working the last few days and unable to check back on here after posting.

Discus can be expensive but some of the cheaper strains can be purchased for $18-30 each when they are 2.5-3" long and that's about the size I'd recommend purchasing initially. Some people go out and spend $300+ easily on a puppy so I don't see why if you like fish you couldn't spend that same amount or more if you like. But realistically, for $250 including shipping you could get 6-8 really beautiful fish that would live 10+ years (similar to a dog). They would probably take $5 to feed per week which I'm sure is less than a dog unless you feed it scraps. Not only that, but you're fish won't ever run away from home and you'll never have to go chase them down! I don't have anything against dogs, but I'm trying to show you that they can be pets too just like a dog and they can be less expensive if you keep to the cheaper strains like blue diamonds, cobalts, pigeon bloods, turqs, san merahs, and other strains that have been around for 10+ years. It's the newer strains that can go for $400 for a 3" fish!

What do you mean?

I believe he is referring to your aquarium substrate...the sand blasting media.

some of them africans can cost a few dollars also.But they are colourfull

Back
Top Bottom