Tiger Oscars?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReptileGuy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
(I'm not sure if I should've posted this in Getting Started or Cichlid Forum)
For the most part I just joined this site as a backup in case one of my aquariums had problems, but this time I actually want to ask about a fish I may want to get, the Tiger Oscar. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get one, I just want to know if it's even a possibility I could get one.

1. How big of tanks do they need? One source says a min. of 40 US gal. while the other says a min. of 70 US gal.
  2. Can they eat insects? I read somewhere they could, but...
  3. I know Goldfish and Rosy Minnows are bad as feeders, but what about Platies?
  4. Unless I get a good deal for a giant tank somewhere and then find I have an extra room in my house that I didn't know about I probably can't do this, but could I house a Tiger Oscar with an African Brown Knifefish?
  5. Some say they are ONLY for experts, your opinion?

Tiger Oscars are actually considered a novice fish. I would recommend at least a 50 gal tank for one. Stay away from rosey red and comit feeds as they are cold climate fish with more fat content and a chemical that cause Oscars to lose there nutrition does no good. Bugs are a big part of the Oscars diet in nature. crickets, earth warms, and meal worms are all good. They also eat plant life nd fruit. Sry for the brief post back to work..

The 40 Us gal is way too small and you will be doing 3 50% water changes at a minimum to keep nitrates below 20ppm.

The minimum tank size for an oscar is 36" long x 18" wide x 18" high tank (~50g) for life. These fish have a large potential to get to 14". So the width of the aquarium you buy should be at least 18". You have to buy a liquid test kit like the API freshwater master test kit for these fish. Good water parameters are very important for these fish.

Oscars are omnivorous, and should be fed pellets as their primary food source. Crickets, mealworms, and earthworms should be fed sparingly (once a week at most). They also eat vegetables and fruit like peas, carrots (cooked), broccoli, apples, grapes, banana, pineapple, mango, and, water chestnuts. A varied diet is important to prevent hole in the head disease. I would advise purchasing Boyds vitachem and soaking freeze dried krill for a few hours for them.

Feeder fish should not be fed since they carry disease. If you plan on breeding your own feeder fish and "gut load" them with veggies that would be okay. But not really recommended. The best bet is to feed frozen silver side fish by San Francisco Bay. I stay away from beefheart, and do not recommend them for adult oscars.

Do not get an African brown knife unless you can afford a 150g tank (60"x24"x24").

Oscars are not a novice fish because of their size and a lot of people under estimate the amount of water changes required for these fish. Also take note of the requirements that wrote I above, which would push the fish towards more experienced fish keepers ( not necessarily expert). If they were truly a novice fish, then everyone would be able to keep them alive for 10 years. They require really clean water with nitrates being kept below 20ppm and they require due diligence with a big enough water changes and water testing.

Yeah, I don't think I would've put one in a 40 gal. even if I could, the comfort and happiness of the fish is my #1 consideration here. I didn't plan on getting an African Brown Knife, I was just asking if Brown Knifes are compatible with Oscars... that's all, sorry! I must sound like a real jerk...

While I'm not trying to slack off on my water changes and I'd do them 24/7 if I had to, would it help with water quality if I put a filter for, let's say a 75 gal., in the 50 gal., would it make any big difference?

Thanks for all your replies, and I'm sorry if I sounded like a jerk. D:

You don't sound like a jerk asking questions.

I typically recommend 10 x the water volume using hang on the back type filters or 5 x the water volume for canister filters. You don't have to use just one filter. It's best to have more than one in case one filter fails.

A filter rated for a 75g is way better than a filter rated for a 50g. The water turnover rate is much faster and the bacteria has more contact time with the water to pull out the ammonia and nitrites.

What filter model are you looking at?

What size is your tank and tiger oscars are extremely easy to take care of. I would stay away from feeding it live food but you probably are gonna. I tried a few times just because who doesn't wanna see a fish eat another but you wouldnt want to be feeding them everyday maybe once a month cause the fish your feed could be carrying diseases and terrible stuff like that

Yeah, I've decided not to feed it fish, I was more interested in insects because I breed insects for my reptiles.

Currently, this is all skeptical. I don't have a tank yet... I just wanted some input and see if it's even possible I could have a Oscar sometime in the future. I don't plan to get anything specific, just whatever I can find for the best price.

I haven't looked at any specific model yet, but I've been thinking about a canister filter since everybody seems to say they're best. I've only ever seen them in SW though... can you even use them in FW?

Canisters can be used for freshwater.

Since you breed your own insects, the oscars would be fine to have them as a supplement to their diet.

Insects would be pretty good mine loves meal worms and canister are amazing keep you're water crystal clear I have a fluval fx5 running on mine super quiet there kind expensive but it's worth it

Thank for the responses! :D Another question, if I do go through with this, should I get live plants? They help ammonia decompose, right? (Not to mention they'd make the tank more aesthetically pleasing)

So far the setup would be:
50-60 gal.
Some kind of canister filter... I was thinking a Fluval 360
A single Tiger Oscar

Live plants will get torn from the roots 95% of the time by Oscars.

Floating planks like duck weed would help suck up allot of the extra nitrates. Java moss tied to drift wood may work too.

Don't count on just the plants to remove excess nitrates/ ammo from the water. You're still going to have to do a minimum of 50% water change a week .

These guys never went after the mango spears but that's not common they more then likely would tear Em up. I use ping pong balls they love Goin after them.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120924_181429.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120924_181429.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 101
I'd say an adult Oscar needs a 75gl tank min IMO but I'm sure it can be done in a 50 with success. I would just keep it in the back of your mind.

Ok, I will keep that in mind. As I said before, the fish's "happiness" (parenthesis because you can't really tell if a fish is happy) and health are the number one priority. However, if the min. is 75 US gal. I think I'm going to have to pass on it, 50 gal. is really pushing my limit. I'm curious, which do you think would be cheaper, a Tiger Oscar species tank or Mantis Shrimp species tank?

I think the Oscar tank would look cooler, I mean, you could get years out of that fish before it got to a huge size. Like you have to like the fish, a little $10 Oscar would be nice and take a long time to reach the $60ish price range size

Honestly the mantis shrimp tank would be more of a hassle especially if ur new to it. It's recommend with mantis shrimp to use an acrylic tank since the smasher cataorgy mantis is known to have the tensity of smashing the tank with its appendage. That's smashing motion is comparable to being shot by a .22 rifle. So picture that with a glass tank..... You have to be in a tight temper range of 75-80 degree water. U need to worry about ur salinity when changing water every two weeks plus what ever evaporated. They need a lot of tank amenities to hide. Some species can reach up to 15 inches so u will need to choose wisly or prepare to get yet again a larger tank.

Oscars are one of the fastest growing of the species, and in a healthy environment with right diet were taking up to an inch a month. So years no, months. I have had mine for 2 months and there up to four inches so it's seems like that's an accurate grow rate as they were just over 2 inches when I got them.

They do slowdown in growth rate but I do understand what you are saying. My uncle had a 3yr old Oscar that was around 7inches... I was originally thinking closer to a foot range

Yea ur right I don't remember exactly what the grow rate is I'm pretty sure it's 6 to 12 months pending on the species. But again that goes off of how u go about feeding and the environment their in.

Back
Top Bottom