Upside down cichlid with swollen abdomen :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettaishi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What was once a stunning pink convict is now a poor suffering fish. This has been going on for over a week and he gets worse every day. I don't have a sick tank so using a 5 gallon bucket with a heater and an air stone. I cannot believe he is still alive. Medications don't seem to be curing him, just sustaining his misery. I don't have the heart to put him down...or watch him suffer any more. He looks like by morning he will explode :(
What shall I do? His anus is huge and clear...very odd. I just read about Epsom salt for swim bladder but do not have any on hand. What else works for swim bladder? Should I keep trying or put him down? What a sad end to his life.

What was once a stunning pink convict is now a poor suffering fish. This has been going on for over a week and he gets worse every day. I don't have a sick tank so using a 5 gallon bucket with a heater and an air stone. I cannot believe he is still alive. Medications don't seem to be curing him, just sustaining his misery. I don't have the heart to put him down...or watch him suffer any more. He looks like by morning he will explode :(
What shall I do? His anus is huge and clear...very odd. I just read about Epsom salt for swim bladder but do not have any on hand. What else works for swim bladder? Should I keep trying or put him down? What a sad end to his life.

I'm sorry but it sounds like bloat. You need to QT him even if its a bucket. Air stone and heater. Treat with Kosher salt and don't feed. But by the sound of it, it may be too late :(

Keep us posted. I hope for the best. I lost 4 to bloat awhile back. Your right, they look like there gonna explode.

Bloat

I'm sorry but it sounds like bloat. You need to QT him even if its a bucket. Air stone and heater. Treat with Kosher salt and don't feed. But by the sound of it, it may be too late :(

Keep us posted. I hope for the best. I lost 4 to bloat awhile back. Your right, they look like there gonna explode.

Sorry for the sickness (bloat) in the Convict.....I hate to lose any living thing. But what exactly causes "bloat".

I can't believe it, but my cichlid is still alive! The bloat is gone, he is no longer upside down and is eating well and very active! Not completely recovered but well on his way. I'm so glad I didn't euthanize him, it was very hard to watch him be so sick.

over feeding them and too high of protien in there diet from what i understand is mainly what causes bloat in most africans from what i hear its more common in mbunas then others but i'm sure someone with a tad bit more experience can better explain

I feed sinking pellets, the brand doesn't really matter obviously the more expensive the better but look at the nutritional facts. Anything with over 35% protein is too high IMO, I feed once a day and skip one day a week to prevent bloat. I also will offer some frozen brine shrimp and algae wafers from time to time

Back
Top Bottom