What do I do about yellow lab eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tyler2354

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just noticed three days ago that my yellow labrochrimis (sp?) is holding eggs. So I set up a ten gallon tank the exact way my 55 is set up and plan on putting her in there and either letting her spit the eggs/fry or do I strip them from her??? I have no experience doing this and I just thought it would be cool if some of the babies live so I'm trying to give them their best shot. Any and all input is greatly appreciated!!!!!

I just noticed three days ago that my yellow labrochrimis (sp?) is holding eggs. So I set up a ten gallon tank the exact way my 55 is set up and plan on putting her in there and either letting her spit the eggs/fry or do I strip them from her??? I have no experience doing this and I just thought it would be cool if some of the babies live so I'm trying to give them their best shot. Any and all input is greatly appreciated!!!!!

In two-three weeks put her in your ten gallon. That would be your greatest chance of a high survival rate. I have no knowledge of stripping fry. But I think you have to wait two weeks to do that to but idk.

Ok. I planned on doing a cleaning today of the main tank. I thought I would try and get her out today and put into the ten gallon. Is that two early?

How long has she been holding? they normally hold for about 3 weeks so I would put her in the ten when its almost that time and you can put her back in the main tank. I've stripped a few of my fish not hard just need a steady hand there's plenty tutorials on YouTube check em out.

I'm wandering how can you get them out without tearing down your tank. I've had a few to hold but failed to get them out. They eventually spit them out to early and different survive.

Yea trust me tried gettin her out today with out taking everything out of the tank and it was just not possible. So maybe at the end of the week ill take everything out and use a big net to try and get her out without stressing her out too much. Would y'all try and strip her eggs or let her spit them out on her own?

I do the same thing. Plenty of people do fine with stripping, but this is easier for me, and no need to use a tumbler. About 18 days after I notice she's holding, I empty ALL rocks and decorations during a PWC and use a large net to move her to a seeded 10 gallon by herself. Let her spit on her own, as soon as you see the fry give her a good meal. Give her about 12 hours before moving back to the main tank.
Feed the fry 2-3 times a day, and enjoy!

Yea I figured cichlids would just rip up the live plants. I hope the little guys make it. It would be cool to have babies!!!!! 1st time ever!!

I hope most of them make it!! I'm pretty excited about this. Thank y'all for your input. Ill try and update in a couple weeks on how it goes!!!

Ive still got some cloudyness in my newly set up ten gal. What do I do about that? I set it up with the same water and rock as my main tank about 2 days ago

What did you do to establish the tank since it is newly set-up and what are you using for a filter? Personally I never strip the females. They will release on their own when they are ready, and this insures the best chance of survival for the fry as they are fully developed when released. Mom will not eat the fry for 2or3 days after release, so if you pay attention, you are not at any risk of loosing any to mom.

Sometimes you can trick mom and catch her without tearing down the entire tank. When she has been holding for a couple weeks, drop some food into the tank at your normal feeding time and have a large net in hand and ready to go. All the fish, including mom, should rise to the food - even though mom won't eat. If you are quick enough, you can catch her when she rises to the food. If you get a few others in the process, just separate them out after before you release mom into the new tank.

Be aware that if this is the mothers first time holding eggs, she will most likely swallow them rather than carry them to term.

It's a whisper filter. I figured if I put the same substrate and some of the same water as the main tank into the ten gallon then it would be close to the same environment for her when I put her into the ten gallon

It's a whisper filter. I figured if I put the same substrate and some of the same water as the main tank into the ten gallon then it would be close to the same environment for her when I put her into the ten gallon

Did you place some of the filter material from your established tank into the new filter to help get the bacteria going?

I did not. Should I throw one of my bio-wheels from my main tank into my ten gallon? Because my filter pad will not fit in the ten gallon filter

And because I just changed my filter pads in my main tank when I did the water change a couple days ago

What did you do to establish the tank since it is newly set-up and what are you using for a filter? Personally I never strip the females. They will release on their own when they are ready, and this insures the best chance of survival for the fry as they are fully developed when released. Mom will not eat the fry for 2or3 days after release, so if you pay attention, you are not at any risk of loosing any to mom.

Sometimes you can trick mom and catch her without tearing down the entire tank. When she has been holding for a couple weeks, drop some food into the tank at your normal feeding time and have a large net in hand and ready to go. All the fish, including mom, should rise to the food - even though mom won't eat. If you are quick enough, you can catch her when she rises to the food. If you get a few others in the process, just separate them out after before you release mom into the new tank.

Be aware that if this is the mothers first time holding eggs, she will most likely swallow them rather than carry them to term.

A couple of mine swallowed theirs the first time they held. I've yet to have lil ones.

I did not. Should I throw one of my bio-wheels from my main tank into my ten gallon? Because my filter pad will not fit in the ten gallon filter

And Tyler I know I'm not the one who you were asking but yes I believe you will need some type of media from the established tank and transfer it over to the 10 gal. That way you already have that beneficial bacteria growing. That's prob why it's cloudy because its a bacteria bloom.

Back
Top Bottom