What do YOU do..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey NY, apple snails? They work in a Cichlid tank? I always wanted snails but was afraid. Bio load on them? What do they eat? Will they eat my Anubias? Do they make slime all over the glass?

Sorry a ton of questions.

So far so good. my guys poke at them every once in a while but the snails mainly stay in their shells when lights on & come out & feed on the algea in the tank at night. dunno if they'd eat anubias but im thinking no since that plant doesn;'t taste to good to most herbivores. no slime on glass. they used to leave a slime film on my sand substrate but not on glass.
bio load is just like a small fish(about half a cichlid size)
I give them a lettuce leaf in the front of the tank before i goto bed every couple days & they eat holes in it like crazy. with your tank I'd hold off there killer lol don;'t want another eel episode :fish1:

Convict2161 said:
Hey NY, apple snails? They work in a Cichlid tank? I always wanted snails but was afraid. Bio load on them? What do they eat? Will they eat my Anubias? Do they make slime all over the glass?

Sorry a ton of questions.

I had apple snails in my 5 gallon tank and they always left alike over my glass as well as over the gravel. After I moved them into my 55g, they seem to stopped leaving slime on my wall. My kribensis like to pick on them when the snails are climbing, by the time the snail reaches quarter way to top, my kribensis will nip it down.

I am not sure in terms of the plans, I have some random plants that they seem not to be eating.

NyteGTI said:
So far so good. my guys poke at them every once in a while but the snails mainly stay in their shells when lights on & come out & feed on the algea in the tank at night. dunno if they'd eat anubias but im thinking no since that plant doesn;'t taste to good to most herbivores. no slime on glass. they used to leave a slime film on my sand substrate but not on glass.
bio load is just like a small fish(about half a cichlid size)
I give them a lettuce leaf in the front of the tank before i goto bed every couple days & they eat holes in it like crazy. with your tank I'd hold off there killer lol don;'t want another eel episode :fish1:

Yeah your right lol I think the only thing id put in that tank right are people I don't like!

I wonder if we can get this as a sticky & change the title to "what's YOUR stock list look like" or "Thinking of a stock list? Check out what others have done" soemthing like that for any new guys

NyteGTI said:
I wonder if we can get this as a sticky & change the title to "what's YOUR stock list look like" or "Thinking of a stock list? Check out what others have done" soemthing like that for any new guys

That's would be a great idea! Oh and thanks for your help NY for Identifying some of my stock. I bought a book and have been online trying to ID the rest so I have a better handle on what I have. Now I just watch them closely. I gotta say, since the re home they honestly seem calmer no joke! It's weird it's like a calmness has settled over the tank... For now anyway.

Convict2161 said:
That's would be a great idea! Oh and thanks for your help NY for Identifying some of my stock. I bought a book and have been online trying to ID the rest so I have a better handle on what I have. Now I just watch them closely. I gotta say, since the re home they honestly seem calmer no joke! It's weird it's like a calmness has settled over the tank... For now anyway.

I know you weren't talking to me but....GREAT!!!! The few times I've had to rehome an aggressor I found that there was INSTANT relief! And it's a great feeling!! Good luck

Lady_Alia said:
I know you weren't talking to me but....GREAT!!!! The few times I've had to rehome an aggressor I found that there was INSTANT relief! And it's a great feeling!! Good luck

Yeah it's so weird to watch! It's like they actually know! It's like they all went whew!!! About time he did that!! Now let's all go for a swim!!

And thank you LA for all your help as well!! :)

And sorry I went OT for a few.

Convict2161 said:
Yeah it's so weird to watch! It's like they actually know! It's like they all went whew!!! About time he did that!! Now let's all go for a swim!!

And thank you LA for all your help as well!! :)

And sorry I went OT for a few.

No worries! It's what we're all here for, to get advice when we need it and to give it when we got it!

I'm sure they did all go "WHEW"! They DO know the bad boys are gone and I'm sure they are swimming easier because of it. Can you Imagine having a killer living in your home, never knowing if you'll be next?

I'm glad things are looking up for ya! Cichlids are great...once you've got the right dynamic ;-)

Lady_Alia said:
No worries! It's what we're all here for, to get advice when we need it and to give it when we got it!

I'm sure they did all go "WHEW"! They DO know the bad boys are gone and I'm sure they are swimming easier because of it. Can you Imagine having a killer living in your home, never knowing if you'll be next?

I'm glad things are looking up for ya! Cichlids are great...once you've got the right dynamic ;-)

Thanks!! But a killer wouldn't last in my house... lol ;) he'd be worried about me.

But yes I would imagine there a bit happier now. Which makes me happy.

Back
Top Bottom