What do YOU do..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steez

Aquarium Advice FINatic
..to reduce aggression in your tank?

With cichlids of all kinds, there are many ideas and opinions on how to reduce aggression. Examples of that are rockscaping, sexing, large tank, male-only, different colors / species, aggression levels, etc..

This is not a guide, this is a personal experience and opinion thread. The statements below are purely my own opinion.

Please keep this thread constructive and on point. I'd like to hear everyone's opinions!

1. SEXING - Sexing is great way to reduce aggression in all tank sizes. An example of sexing is getting 1 male and 3 females so the male doesn't feel the need to fight over a female. Breeding times make cichlids aggression levels go way up.

2. Rockscaping - I have heard, and tried, changing my rockscaping to avoid aggression over territories. Cichlids defend caves, by eliminating caves in your tank it has been known to reduce aggression levels over certain areas. Some cichlids also are known to create spawning sections in the sand.

3. Tank size - By having a large enough tank, you can eliminate a lot of aggression. If fish feel like they have plenty of room to themselves, there's less chance of them fighting in your tank.

4. Overstocking - Overstocking is used a lot to reduce aggression among cichlids. By putting a lot of, for example, African cichlids in a tank, they are less likely to pick on ONE single other fish and perhaps kill it. They will swim around and almost just 'forget' who they were just picking on and leave them. This also makes it hard for them to establish territories in the tank. Overstocking does not come without a price though... you need to over-filtrate your tank in order to keep up with the bio-load. Having a 15x-20x GPH is an example of this. For example, in a 75g aquarium, having one or two filters that can move 75x20 gallons of water per hour. This would be considered 20x filtration.

5. Male only tank - This is more of an African thing, having two SA/CA cichlids that are both males is probably a bad idea. If you keep a lot of different species that don't look alike, and only keep males, it has been known to reduce aggression. They usually want to pick on their own species. For example; A Demasoni male would most likely try to fight with other Demasoni males or fish that look similar like a Johanni male.

6. Aggression levels - "All" cichlids are aggressive. They can and will fight under some circumstances. There are definitely some more lesser of the evils though. Fish like Yellow Labs are much less aggressive than say a Red Zebra cichlid. Many aquarists keep the lesser of the evils by stocking their tank with less aggressive cichlids.

7. Regular feeding - I have never tried this, because I overstock my tanks and by feeding once or twice a day I would make it practically impossible to keep the nitrates down. I have read that feeding cichlids twice a day keeps them happy and full, and reduces aggression among each other. I don't really agree with this theory too much. I feel that there's too many other reasons for most cichlids to fight. This would apply more to Oscars or other big fish.

Let's hear what everyone thinks! Please add or discuss anything aggression related!

I agree with it. This is way I experience that too and play with it a bit. From what you listed. But sometimes it's hard too see witch is male or female when they or yonger. But I have too say it's a good reminder. For every on

We all know what I've been going through and I was almost to the point of giving up!! I was totally devastated after loosing fish to the sheer aggression of my tank. I certainly have enough hiding places. I'll spare you all the pics there in my profile.

What I'm going to do is add more dither fish some more giant danios and maybe, MAYBE not sure yet. Some tiger bards or some rosies. Hopefully that will help. Also tomorrow I'm gonna do a water change since I found a dead finned friend tonight and during that change I'm gonna slightly rearrange the tank. Petsmart has a special on GD's there only a buck so maybe I'll add 6 more bringing the total to 12.

I love my Africans an what the best for them but the the OP had told me the tank needs to settle and everyone needs to find its place and during this time I will lose fish. It's part of the process as sad as it is.

Hope I didn't get off topic and apologize to the OP if I did. And I want to thank the OP for all his help and being there for me through all of this. I don't know you personally but I consider you a friend and thank you for everything.

EDIT;

I'm overstocked. I tried to count and looks like 42 in a 75 gallon. 2 catfish 1 eel, had 2 :( and a red tailed shark who's doing just fine! OP is right with over filtration also. I'm running 2 AC 110's right now and soon will be running a Fluval FX5 :) that should help big time!!

Also due to the fact that I'm overstocked I feed everyother day, but I'm wondering if that's making them more aggressive. As far as temp, I keep it at 78. I hear of you raise it they become more active and then would need to eat more.
Good read!! Thanks for posting it and couldn't come at a better time!!

Again I'm sorry for you went through bro!! I feel your pain. :(

Last edited:
I keep my tank at about 79. Running AQ110 and API Nexx canister.

I feed every other day, NLS pellets. I sometimes feed some brine shrimp.

steez said:
I keep my tank at about 79. Running AQ110 and API Nexx canister.

I feed every other day, NLS pellets. I sometimes feed some brine shrimp.

NLS pellets here too. Going to canister this week.

I don't think I do any of those things, to be honest. I decorated my tank how I wanted it and the fish live with it lol.
I have a good tank boss and he keeps things in line. If there is fighting he'll break it up. That said, there have been a few challengers to the throne and if they persist in fighting Skittles I remove them from the tank.
I feed twice a day. It's a mixture of cichlid crisps and algae crisps...along with another mixture containing omega one super veggie pellets, omega one cichlid pellets and omega one super color pellets. So my fish get 5 types of food per feeding.
My temps range from 76-79 depending on the tank.
All in all my tanks are pretty peaceful...bout dang time! It only took a year!! lol

I don't think I do any of those things, to be honest. I decorated my tank how I wanted it and the fish live with it lol.
I have a good tank boss and he keeps things in line. If there is fighting he'll break it up. That said, there have been a few challengers to the throne and if they persist in fighting Skittles I remove them from the tank.
I feed twice a day. It's a mixture of cichlid crisps and algae crisps...along with another mixture containing omega one super veggie pellets, omega one cichlid pellets and omega one super color pellets. So my fish get 5 types of food per feeding.
All in all my tanks are pretty peaceful...bout dang time! It only took a year!! lol

Thanks for chiming in Alia. It's great to hear about everyones tank and what they do.

What's your tank size and stock list?

Lady_Alia said:

Now all I need is a good tank boss instead of a motley crew.

This is pretty much what I do. My boss Leonidas aka Leo takes care of any problems/diputes and anybody who messes with him or his (now pregnant) girlfriend get chased into a corner a beaten until they understand he's the boss lol. He's not mean, he's just not somebody they should mess with :ROFLMAO:

I feed small NLS pellets twice daily 10:30 am & 5:30 am, almost NEVER change my food type. my lights are on from AM until 12 midnight no sunrise or sunset feature. The only exception is my pleco gets an algae wafer every other day and the cichlid will try to steal it so I give them 1/4 of it to fight over.
My tank turns about 7-8times/hour and I do a 40% WC on thursdays and sundays.

My readings are usually the same as they were this morning:
Ammo - 0
Trite - 0
Trate- 20-40(by tommorrow night it'll be 40 & I'll do a change)
Temp 78-79F
PH 7.6

Current setup:
55G long with some coral rock and homemade slate caves.
All fake plants
Gravel(no sand (y))
1M, 2F Kenyi
2M, 2F Yellow lab
3F Auratus
1M Albino Red Zebra(we think lol)
1 RTS
1 Pearl Gourami (he was in my now QT tank and was the big fish in the tank when the cichlids were introduced so they never really became aggressive with him).
1 Bristlenose Pleco
4 Apple Snails

I know my tank looks like a powder keg waiting to go off with my M/F ratio but I've got one yellow lab holding and my M Kenyi is starting to dig to the bottom of the tank which means fry time. so they're all "sexually mature" and about 2.5-3" yet I haven't had any issues. Leo keeps them in line pretty well and even scares the other cichlids away so that my RTS can get some food before they take it all & leave him with nothing.

A good thing to mention is not keeping F0 or F1 fish. Sometimes its hard to know, but if your getting fish from the LFS the wild caught should come with a much higher price tag. Usually these fish also have more attitude and are much more terrortorial then fish bred in captivity. There is articles out there that say captivity is actually breeding the aggression out of the Africans. Im not so sure about that...

Cool thread,
BTW I have a 75 gal Mbuna setup. aqua clear sump overflow/skimmer box. Full of dead coral, and dead live rock and bio balls. Also have a Emperor 400. Black sand base and fake plants except for an annubias I got yesterday. Coralife 50/50 bulb, and lots of rocks!
Stock is 2 red zebras, 2 albino zebras, 6 yellow labs, 5 Demosani (yes im getting more) and a big pleco that needs to be rehomed. Oh and some Narcissus snail that may be dead??? I havent seen them in a while.

steez said:
Thanks for chiming in Alia. It's great to hear about everyones tank and what they do.

What's your tank size and stock list?

I have a 55g with fake plants and gravel
My stock list....lemme see if I get everyone lol
Metriaclima greshakei 1m/2f (this male is my tank boss, Skittles)
5 yellow labs
6" blue dolphin female
3" kenyi
3" ob zebra
Maingano
6 hybrids ranging in size from 1"-3"
8" pleco
7" feather fin catfish

I think that's everyone lol

Convict2161 said:
Now all I need is a good tank boss instead of a motley crew.

You're so dedicated, don't worry, your tank will settle out. It's gonna take a little bit of time to figure out what fish works together breed wise and personality wise.

Awesome info everyone. It's really great to just have a bunch of stocking lists / tank setups all in a thread to look over.

I'll add myself to it:

55g (upgrading to 90g this summer)

AQ 110 HOB + API Nexx canister. Turns my water 12ish times per hour.

Ammonia - 0

NitrIte - 0

NitrAte - 20-40 range (goes up before water change, down after)

pH - 8.0

temp - 78

PFS Substrate
Lace rock
Fake plants

Stock-

5 Yellow Labs
2 Acei
2 Venustus
2 Afra
6 Demasoni
1 blue cobalt zebra
1 peacock eel
1 bn pleco
1 turquoise severum

So far so good. One of my Afra's is the tank boss who breaks up any little fights. Demasoni fight between each other as expected.

They are about 3" range.

Hey NY, apple snails? They work in a Cichlid tank? I always wanted snails but was afraid. Bio load on them? What do they eat? Will they eat my Anubias? Do they make slime all over the glass?

Sorry a ton of questions.

Lady_Alia said:
You're so dedicated, don't worry, your tank will settle out. It's gonna take a little bit of time to figure out what fish works together breed wise and personality wise.

Thanks Lady Alia!! I try :)

Convict2161 said:
Hey NY, apple snails? They work in a Cichlid tank? I always wanted snails but was afraid. Bio load on them? What do they eat? Will they eat my Anubias? Do they make slime all over the glass?

Sorry a ton of questions.

I've tried and tried snails, they always get eaten.

Back
Top Bottom