What is the best conditions for breeding oscars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hossein8439

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am going to breeding oscars.
What is the best conditions for it?
For example what is the best temperature?

I believe 78 will be good. Need pristine water, at least 90 gallons of it lol. Two sexed Oscars as well which aren't easy to come by given the lack of sexual dimorphication.

# 1 necessity...... CLEAN WATER! I used to have 13 pairs of breeding Oscars and the only time they wouldn't spawn was when water change schedule had been altered.
Get yourself a nice large rock with a flat surface and put it near the middle of the breeding tank. No need for any other decor. Just make sure you don't have other fish in site of the breeding pair. (They will spend more time defending the fry from the other fish than taking care of them. :( ) Oscars usually are good parents so no need to artificially hatch the spawn. Be prepared however, you will need A LOT of tanks or tank space to raise the fry as a typical spawn of Oscars can have 800- 1000 eggs ( depending on size and age of the breeders). That's a lot of hungry mouths to feed if you have a good hatch rate. ;)
Best temps for spawning are 78-80 degrees. No warmer. Too hot and the fish gets lethargic.
Hope this helps (y)

You're talking about throwing two large oscars into an uncycled tank in one thread, and then you ask about breeding them in another? Seems like you need to research and get your tank right BEFORE you get these oscars and definitely before you even start to think about being able to breed them...information on oscars is everywhere, extremely easy to do a google search and learn everything you need to know...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You're talking about throwing two large oscars into an uncycled tank in one thread, and then you ask about breeding them in another? Seems like you need to research and get your tank right BEFORE you get these oscars and definitely before you even start to think about being able to breed them...information on oscars is everywhere, extremely easy to do a google search and learn everything you need to know...

+1 to Mr. Gecko ;) (y). Oscars are not easily sexed and now, with all the new fin adaptations, almost impossible to sex by physical appearance. Unless you are getting a guaranteed M/F pair, the best way to get pairs is to have 6-10 fish grow up together in a tank and letting them pair off naturally ( then removing them to their own tank.) This means you will be needing a very large tank from the onset as these fish need space to grow and getting out of each other's way. It's not a difficult thing to do, only if you have the space. ;)(y)

Hello , but i haven't bought them yet. I am waiting to create nitrogen cycle.[emoji18] by using zebra fishes and bactozym pills.
In my country some aquariumists sell guaranteed couple fishes. And we don't need to grow up 7-8 little oscars.

Hello , but i haven't bought them yet. I am waiting to create nitrogen cycle.[emoji18] by using zebra fishes and bactozym pills.
In my country some aquariumists sell guaranteed couple fishes. And we don't need to grow up 7-8 little oscars.

So you know of a proven pair? Or are you saying in your country they sell you two juvenile Oscars as a guaranteed pair? Because if you buy that I know where some oceanfront property is.

So you know of a proven pair? Or are you saying in your country they sell you two juvenile Oscars as a guaranteed pair? Because if you buy that I know where some oceanfront property is.
I mean i can buy oscars that have layed some time ago.

I mean i can buy oscars that have layed some time ago.

If I recall correctly mine were spawning about every 6 weeks or so depending on how long I left the fry in with the parents. That said, you might want to be wary of buying fish pairs that haven't spawned in the past 2 months or so unless they are being kept on cooler water. The fish become more active spawning in the warmer temps so some breeders will cool them down to slow them down. Try to get smaller fish as a pair so that more of their spawning years are ahead of them not behind them. Old pairs will slow down spawning frequency and not have high hatch rates.
What size tank did you say you were going to breed these in?

Now i have them.
I know that my tank is small, about 100 liter.
There is no other fish, sand and any decor.
Just filter and heater.
You didn't say anything about how to stimulate them to breed.
For example is it necessary to add aquarium salt?
What about temperature? KH? pH?

Now i have them.
I know that my tank is small, about 100 liter.
There is no other fish, sand and any decor.
Just filter and heater.
You didn't say anything about how to stimulate them to breed.
For example is it necessary to add aquarium salt?
What about temperature? KH? pH?

You're not going to be able to breed oscars in a 100l tank....they belong in a tank 4 times that size. The require perfect water conditions

I know that, large tank is ideal but not absolutely necessary. in my country forums, many people breed oscars in just only 100-200 liter. It is possible.

I would keep my pair in a 72b when they spawed and that nearly required daily 50-60% water changes to keep the nitrates below 20ppm so there is no way two 9-10" fish(which is breeding size btw) should be kept in a 26g tank. The title of the your thread is " What is the best conditions for breeding oscars" what your attempting is the complete opposite?

Last edited:
I know that, large tank is ideal but not absolutely necessary. in my country forums, many people breed oscars in just only 100-200 liter. It is possible.

It really is a matter of floor space over water amount. When I was breeding Oscars, we had custom tanks made that where somewhat shallow but 40"- 48" long x 20"-24" wide. This gave the fish more bottom space, which is what they need. That said, since these did not hold a lot of water, they did require A LOT of maintenance. More than most aquarists would want to do or have time to do. So, in keeping with your thread's title, the BEST conditions are usually found in larger aquariums. These are: excellent water quality, minimal distractions, a spawning site large enough to house 1000+ eggs and a top notch diet consisting of higher protein foods mixed in with laxative type foods to keep their digestive systems working properly. Missing any of these will reduce the chances of successful spawns.

Hope this helps. (y)

Back
Top Bottom