What's the BEST cichlid food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's well known that terrestrial plant lipids can cause heart and liver issues in fish akin to trans fats being problematic in humans. It's why you want to see all kinds of fish and marine-sourced plants listed in fish food ingredients and not garlic.

AH, Sargent JR, Thompson KD 1993
Terrestrial and fish oils affect phospholipid fatty acid composition, development of cardiac lesions, phospholipase activity and eicosanoid production in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar).
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 49(3):665-73

AH, Park MT, Sargent JR.1991.
High dietary linoleic acid affects the fatty acid compositions of individual phospholipids from tissues of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar): association with stress susceptibility and cardiac lesion.
J Nutr. 121(8):1163-72

SL Seierstad, TT Poppe, EO Koppang, A Svindland, G 2005
Influence of dietary lipid composition on cardiac pathology in farmed Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L
Journal of Fish Diseases.

Yes I'm aware that all of these are salmon, because it's one of the most-studied species in aquaculture. But I'm going to take the precaution of assuming it's probably bad for other fish as well.

This is also the last I'm going to say on it in this thread.

It's well known that terrestrial plant lipids can cause heart and liver issues in fish akin to trans fats being problematic in humans. It's why you want to see all kinds of fish and marine-sourced plants listed in fish food ingredients and not garlic.

AH, Sargent JR, Thompson KD 1993
Terrestrial and fish oils affect phospholipid fatty acid composition, development of cardiac lesions, phospholipase activity and eicosanoid production in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar).
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 49(3):665-73

AH, Park MT, Sargent JR.1991.
High dietary linoleic acid affects the fatty acid compositions of individual phospholipids from tissues of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar): association with stress susceptibility and cardiac lesion.
J Nutr. 121(8):1163-72

SL Seierstad, TT Poppe, EO Koppang, A Svindland, G 2005
Influence of dietary lipid composition on cardiac pathology in farmed Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L
Journal of Fish Diseases.

Yes I'm aware that all of these are salmon, because it's one of the most-studied species in aquaculture. But I'm going to take the precaution of assuming it's probably bad for other fish as well.

This is also the last I'm going to say on it in this thread.

I quickly looked at those links and did I miss the part where garlic(Allium sativum) was used? The test do not state allicinic acids were used, mainly linoleic, sunflower, and fish oils.

"Dietary sunflower, linseed and fish oils affect phospholipid fatty acid composition, development of cardiac lesions, phospholipase activity and eicosanoid production in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar)."

"High dietary linoleic acid affects the fatty acid compositions of individual phospholipids from tissues of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar): association with stress susceptibility and cardiac lesion."

There are dozens of studies to the positive effects of garlic from disease resistance, increased growth rate, and increased appetite.

So again I disagree with your previous statements. I have personally spoken to Pablo Tepoot on more than a couple occasions regarding the choice to use specific ingredients in his foods and benefits of garlic is always the question he gets asked the most.

Last edited:
Has anyone used yourfishstuff.com?

I can't get my guys to eat NLS pellets , but they seem to love the yfs cichlid flakes. Is that considered a quality food safe for the fish?
I don't see any water issues either.
I have new world cichlid.

Tks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone used yourfishstuff.com?

I can't get my guys to eat NLS pellets , but they seem to love the yfs cichlid flakes. Is that considered a quality food safe for the fish?
I don't see any water issues either.
I have new world cichlid.

Tks

I've used their golden pearls and spiraling powder and it's amazing, but none of the other cichlid foods. Great stuff!

My cichlids won't eat NLS either, I spent like $25 on a small container and I'd like for them to actually be eating it but instead they just let it sink to the bottom and my pleco gets it. Any suggestions on getting them to eat it?

They will eat it eventually if that's all you offer for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you drop in a few at a time, I notice they will go for them. Nothing like the other brands I tried though.

I tried feeding it (only NLS) for about a week but only a few were eating it including my pleco and those few were getting really fat and I was afraid they would die from over feeding so I just switched back to my old food and I don't know what to do with the rest of the NLS.

Hello everyone! What is the difference between nls regular cichlid formula (what my cichlids eat now) and the nls Thera a formula ?? Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

New life spectrum is good but it's not the only thing you should feed your chiclids. My chiclids get a combo of romaine lettuce, cucumber, zucchini, and algae based pellets with no protein content over 35%. NLS is what I mainly feed them but the variety of foods I feed them definitely helps with developing color. It is also beneficial because it helps your fish heal quicker i.e. torn fins etc.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom