Whats this cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nathanpopp

Aquarium Advice Freak
I found this cichlid at petsmart. It was listed as a Red Texas, but I just don't see it. It's obviously a juvi, but looks wrong. What is it?

Attachments

• image-1055675258.jpg
    image-1055675258.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 207
  • image-731294158.jpg
    image-731294158.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 210
  • image-1577763128.jpg
    image-1577763128.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 235
Pretty sure that's a red texas. Look at the head bump. You can try and google red texas juvie.

I may have HUKIT jump on me for this one, but that looks a bit more like a ex cichlasoma festae rather than the hybrid known as a "red Texas", I obviously could be very wrong, but between the snout, red tinged tail fin, and that lateral line of connected dots, it just looks like a young festae

Yeah, i think its that tail spot thats making me think festae, I knew you, HUKIT, or cbourg would chime in (i think you are the three main members with festae currently)

Yeah, i think its that tail spot thats making me think festae, I knew you, HUKIT, or cbourg would chime in (i think you are the three main members with festae currently)

The snout looks too rounded to me and the body markings don't seem right.HUKIT may well know what it is though.

It seems so familiar, I just can't put my finger on it, I guess when it doubt, HUKIT out ;)

yeah, i failed miserably on this one, FH makes sense, given the body shape, especially in that last pic

cichlid_tank619 said:
Wow that is the oddest looking fish I every seen! Was it supposed to be a FH?

Yep, it was labeled as a flowerhorn. It's really one of the most extreme hybrid abominations I've come across.

Back
Top Bottom