When do baby cichlids get their colours?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
L. caeruleus fry should have their color at release; these guys were only a week or two old when the picture was taken.

img_1649480_0_c4ec16c5e72af265a1d5a2d32ab9cd2b.jpg

Wy Renegade said:
L. caeruleus fry should have their color at release; these guys were only a week or two old when the picture was taken.

Hmmm I was told my three were electric yellow cichlids. She told me they were about 2 months old when she gave them to me. I just took these pics now. Maybe she lied lol

image-1612247026.jpg

Top 2 are my fry cichlids

Attachments

• image-991024520.jpg
    image-991024520.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,156
Maybe a lab of some type, but I would be more inclined to think they are a very unblotched P. zebra (OB).

LOL, Mogurako beat me to it.

Grrr well just as long as they end up being a nice bright colour! That's the only reason I took them from the lady lol.

When should I expect them to get their colours?

They will most likely end up being a pale orange color. It looks like either a hybrid or a weak blood line, at that age any cichlid should have some good coloring.

For quality stock I would buy fish from reputable online breeders with strong lines.

I would go and have a chat with that lady, it's irresponsible to knowing sell a fish falsely or not knowing what you are selling to people.

garfy said:
Not in a million years sorry.Id take them back and get the fish you wanted.They will already look like miniature versions of your picture.

Well I guess I'll wait and see what they look like when they get bigger. They were free after all :( do you know how long I'll be waiting? Lol

Magikalgirl79 said:
Well I guess I'll wait and see what they look like when they get bigger. They were free after all :( do you know how long I'll be waiting? Lol

They should already be showing their emerging adult colors at 3-5 months.

Mogurako said:
They will most likely end up being a pale orange color. It looks like either a hybrid or a weak blood line, at that age any cichlid should have some good coloring.

For quality stock I would buy fish from reputable online breeders with strong lines.

I would go and have a chat with that lady, it's irresponsible to knowing sell a fish falsely or not knowing what you are selling to people.

That sucks! I only agreed to take them to add some colour to my tank! I gave her one of my large algae eaters and 2 tiger barbs(they swim funny) plus a little platy. Oh well. I'm hoping to upgrade in a month or so anyways and plan on stocking it properly

Back
Top Bottom