Would dwarf mbuna be suitable in a 30x12" 20gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daven

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have the tank sitting around and it looks like I won't get to try a couple of the smaller species I wanted for my main tank. I'm assuming this is far too small, but some mbuna don't get all too big. My first two thoughts are saulosi and Afra cobue. And I of course mean for them to be happy and not just crammed In and stunted

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Still too small for any Mbuna. I would check out some of the dwarf tanganyikans, especially shell dwellers like neolamprologus brevis, multifasciatus, ocellatus, similis, etc

That's what I thought. Had this one sitting around so figured I'd see if some if the stalkers guys would be ok species only. Ahh the urge to start another larger tank... Lol

You could keep a small one if you plan on getting a bigger tank later, I don't see any harm in it if your responsible.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If I were to do that, I'd just get the bigger one to begin with lol but I don't think another tank that size would be good for me unfortunately :/ but the urge is great!

You could keep a small one if you plan on getting a bigger tank later, I don't see any harm in it if your responsible.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Life happens, upgrades have a habit of not happening. Much better to stock a tank for that size than to stock with the intent of a larger upgrade down the road. Personal experience, and observations of others for this one

Multies would rock! Its a great footprint for them too.

I dont know anything about the shell dwellers. But my interest is with mbuna since ive loved owning them since i started my 75 gallon. Are these a group of their own, or a specific species? I could give them a look i suppose!

I dont know anything about the shell dwellers. But my interest is with mbuna since ive loved owning them since i started my 75 gallon. Are these a group of their own, or a specific species? I could give them a look i suppose!

They're a species called Neolamprologus Multifasciatus, but there are also Occelatus, brevis, similis, and others of the same genus. Any fish that retreats to a shell for safety is called a "shell dweller" but these are the most common.

They need the same water as mbuna but are pretty hardy.

Makes get to 2 inches for Multies and similis but brevis get a bit larger I think. Females max out at 1 inch.

They're really cool and interesting fish. They are super fun to watch as the males are fairly territorial. They also seem pretty smart.

They spawn easily and raise their own fry so that's cool also.

Give them a look. They need sand a substrate. Generally 3+ shells per fish (escargot shells will do) and mine seem to enjoy the small rockwork I have in the center. It's best to keep most of the tank without rocks because they need space to dig and have their shells in.

Ok they seem interesting! Do they have much for personality or do they spend most of their time in the shells? And can you mix different shell dwellers given enough shells?

Since we already answered my main question, I made a thread for info about these tiny shell dwellers. Thanks for the advice guys! Definitely feel free to follow me along there

Back
Top Bottom