Yellow electric holding???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian14

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just noticed it looked like there was some kind of bulge in the throat of one of my yellow electrics. Its really hard to take a picture but ill try to get some more.

Sent from my XT1080 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1391385345446.jpg
    1391385345446.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 1391385356200.jpg
    1391385356200.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 109
I have a ten gallon set up. Would thefe be no way any of the fry would survive in the main tank? Tons of places to hide

I think my yellow lab is in the same situation.
Should I take her out now or wait?

I read that female mouth brooders that were stripped from their mother will likely swallow their own eggs so if you want to selectively breed them, I'd say let nature take its course

I just striped one of mine that was holding today got another about 2 weeks away ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391408417.311197.jpg tank has only been set up a month or so

Did you use a holding tank?

Nope just had her in with the others but I have a ton of rock work so there are plenty of places to hide just stripped her put her straight back into tank and transferred the fry from a bucket to a grow out tank

What size is the grow out tank?

Also how sensitive are the fry? I'm afraid my ten gallon parameters would be too unstable plus the hardness and ph. I've seen people say that won't survive in water with over 10 nitrates ppm

Tanks about 60 ltr and truth be told I'm not the best person to ask the tec questions as this is my first batch of Africans so I'm still learning myself.
I think I left my strip late as there were no egg sacks attached and from what I have now found a few people recommend stripping between 16and 20 days... It's just trial and error for me atm good luck

Got it thank you

Just noticed a socolofi is holding as well. I'm just gonna keep them in the tank and leave them alone for now

How did it turn out for you?

Mine either swallowed the fry or they got eaten because she isn't holding anymore

How did it turn out for you?

Mine either swallowed the fry or they got eaten because she isn't holding anymore

I e had same experience and right now have 2 hongi holding for first time. I do t have more than 2 tanks etc or want to catch them and try and strip. I see plenty of tanks w adult mbuna that have fry that were spit so I guess I have my fi here crossed and let nature take its course. If meant to be it'll be is my philosophy. I'm limited w space for tanks so...if need be I'd move my comm fish from my 36 and make a fry tank..... Wht are your options?

I have 22 in a grow out tank from stripping one alive in the main tank I missed from the strip and another female holding think I'm going to let her spit and nature take its corse before I end up with more fish that I can handle

Back
Top Bottom