2 gallon reef!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rpbustillo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys I need stocking options for a 2 gallon tank. Probably will keep some misc mushrooms in it, maybe some other softies. Possibly some LPS later down the road.

Hey guys I need stocking options for a 2 gallon tank. Probably will keep some misc mushrooms in it, maybe some other softies. Possibly some LPS later down the road.

I don't know your experience level but it takes a lot of knowledge and time to upkeep a tank like that. Might want to think about getting a little bit larger tank.

If you've been in SW for a long time i apologize :facepalm:

I have a kept a seahorse tank a couple gallons bigger than this one, and I currently have a 29 gallon bare bottom reef tank mostly softies/zoa and a 45g mixed reef softies/LPS/SPS. I have done a ton of research on pico tanks, and want to try a challenge.

you should do good then. Keep us updated i love seeing these pico tanks thriving. It will be my next challenge as well. Something about a small tank is just as awesome to me as a larger tank.

x2 ive been eyeing a 4g eheim tank for my restroom for a while now, ive just been very hesitant because i wouldnt want too take a chance on it and nuke the little thing lol maybe i will, tim how long do i need it up before i can add corals..? i think a zoa colony garden in it would be awesome!

Anemone shrimp, porcelain crab, and hermit crabs / snails would be about your best bet for stocking a 2g tank.

x2 ive been eyeing a 4g eheim tank for my restroom for a while now, ive just been very hesitant because i wouldnt want too take a chance on it and nuke the little thing lol maybe i will, tim how long do i need it up before i can add corals..? i think a zoa colony garden in it would be awesome!

I'd give it at least 3-4 months after it cycles for all of the cycles of a new tank and troubles of a new tank are worked out. the nano tanks I've had before were difficult to keep stable as far as temp. the smallest tank i'll ever run is a 55. You can't really put anything in a tank that small other than coral and shrimp. Not bashing nano's, its just not my cup of tea. I'm too obsessed with triggers and tangs to get rid of my 210G even thought its getting to be too much to deal with everyday. My yearly bonus is going to be spent automating everything possible on the tank. Controller to monitor everything at a glance and all equipment, plumbing my ATO to my RODI feed, getting rid of my Coralife MH fixture and switching to lower power leds since i dont run a reef anymore, etc etc....big plans to come at the first of the year. :popcorn:

I'd give it at least 3-4 months after it cycles for all of the cycles of a new tank and troubles of a new tank are worked out. the nano tanks I've had before were difficult to keep stable as far as temp. the smallest tank i'll ever run is a 55. You can't really put anything in a tank that small other than coral and shrimp. Not bashing nano's, its just not my cup of tea. I'm too obsessed with triggers and tangs to get rid of my 210G even thought its getting to be too much to deal with everyday. My yearly bonus is going to be spent automating everything possible on the tank. Controller to monitor everything at a glance and all equipment, plumbing my ATO to my RODI feed, getting rid of my Coralife MH fixture and switching to lower power leds since i dont run a reef anymore, etc etc....big plans to come at the first of the year.

thats awesome tim, sounds like a million dollar plan lol i think it would be worth a shot as far as set it and forget it cycling for 4 months then bam corals! (not that easily) but yes i still want to, but still scared a bit, but still want too lol :D

With the heater in my tank it stays at 78+- 1 degree it's doesn't really fluctuate that much. And every morning I put about half a cup of RO to top it off. It's pretty stable but I guess we'll see how it goes later on when I start to stock it.

thats awesome tim, sounds like a million dollar plan lol i think it would be worth a shot as far as set it and forget it cycling for 4 months then bam corals! (not that easily) but yes i still want to, but still scared a bit, but still want too lol :D
You can add some really easy hardy corals if you want. Something like zoas, mushrooms, ricordea, hammer is a pretty easy LPS, Xenia. Problem with some "easy" or "indestructible" coral is exactly like they are described.....I couldn't stand when I'd suddenly end up with mushrooms everywhere or zoas being everywhere. Fragging isn't all that fun to me lol. There is a guy on YouTube building a 240 gallon reef tank bare bottom and he's planning to have the bottom completely covered in zoas lol. It'll be worth the long wait for him to grow it all out to see that.
Oh and when I put the lower light corals under my MH with the power compacts on I thought they would suffer but they just wound up taking off like a forest fire so don't be afraid to light these tanks up pretty well

You can add some really easy hardy corals if you want. Something like zoas, mushrooms, ricordea, hammer is a pretty easy LPS, Xenia. Problem with some "easy" or "indestructible" coral is exactly like they are described.....I couldn't stand when I'd suddenly end up with mushrooms everywhere or zoas being everywhere. Fragging isn't all that fun to me lol. There is a guy on YouTube building a 240 gallon reef tank bare bottom and he's planning to have the bottom completely covered in zoas lol. It'll be worth the long wait for him to grow it all out to see that.
Oh and when I put the lower light corals under my MH with the power compacts on I thought they would suffer but they just wound up taking off like a forest fire so don't be afraid to light these tanks up pretty well

Sweet, a zoa garden or hammer coral would be awesome, relaxing to watch too lol

Good luck getting hammers to grow on glass lol. That would be one expensive colony of hammers. Imagine 12 square feet of hammer coral

Good luck getting hammers to grow on glass lol. That would be one expensive colony of hammers. Imagine 12 square feet of hammer coral

It would be awesome but maybe just s smaller flat live rock and let them grow out on that, I'm a dreamer Tim don't judge my outlandish wishes lol

Back
Top Bottom