29 Biocube reef Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SundanceCassidy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Basically a place for me to document my little dive into saltwater and get some help. I picked up a Biocube 29 a week ago and im 7 days into the cycle. 30 lbs of "live" sand and 28 lbs of live rock. Running the stock filter media just added carbon. Ill be starting with a FOWLR tank for about a month then start adding corals. Any pointers I should keep in mind?20170305_003435.jpg

Keep an eye on parameters, and maybe wait a little bit more than a month to add coral. I killed $100 worth of frags by not waiting long enough. You are going to want a realllyyy stable tank for corals.
Any ideas on fish stock?

How is the cycle going?
It sounds like you have things squared away pretty well with the rock and sand. I would wait to add the carbon after the cycle is done.
What are your reef plans? The stock biocube lights won't support much, but there has been a following of modifying biocubes to fit stronger lights.

Keep an eye on parameters, and maybe wait a little bit more than a month to add coral. I killed $100 worth of frags by not waiting long enough. You are going to want a realllyyy stable tank for corals.
Any ideas on fish stock?
That sounds good, better safe than sorry.

How is the cycle going?
It sounds like you have things squared away pretty well with the rock and sand. I would wait to add the carbon after the cycle is done.
What are your reef plans? The stock biocube lights won't support much, but there has been a following of modifying biocubes to fit stronger lights.
Im planning on mostly euphyllias, since they can be close to eachother and have so much movement. But I plan to start with some really basic stuff just to get a feel for it. Maybe Xenia or Kenya tree. Leaning towards Xenia since its a bit more controllable. Ill wait on carbon then, didnt think of that.

Found this hitchhiker on my rock, its about a centimeter across and has what looks to be tiny little sweeper tentacles. It doesnt look like apstasia, but I could be wrong. Any Ideas?20170307_223806.jpg20170307_223813.jpg

Okay cool. If its a strawberry Ill probably leave it be. They look pretty cool anyways

Had my first little Diatom bloom overnight. Apparently Im doing something right. Kinda exciting to be honest! 20170309_082042.jpg20170309_082031.jpg

Back
Top Bottom