29 Gallon Biocube Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katy410

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello! It's finally here! Be prepared for a long post, because I finally got my 29 G Coralife Biocube. Here it is, not exactly in place, on a stand. I apologize. I could not avoid those reflections. Anywho, I took a trip down to the LFS tonight and picked up a lot of equipment. The only thins that I think I need are live rock, a bit more sand, cleaning supplies, a few chemicals, and a few more test kits, and I'll be good to go! I do plan in replacing the bio balls, but with what, and should I do it now it later down the line?
1.Coralife Biocube Filter Cartridge
2.Tap Water Filter RO/DI
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390878506.789096.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390878519.257572.jpg
3.Carib Sea Live Sand
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390878601.349469.jpg
4.Marineland 100 Watt Submersible Heater 29 G
5.API Glass Cleaning Pads. I don't think I will be able to use these, because I am pretty sure that Coralife is acrylic.
6.Hydor Koralia circulation and water pumpImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390878751.864497.jpgIf this has too much flow, please tell me. The manager just handed this to me.
7.Coralife Deep-six hydrometer
8.Deep Blue Glass Thermometer
9.API Test Strips ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390878897.787285.jpg

So, what else do I need? I assume I also need stuff(gravel vacuum?) for water changes. Do I keep both of my lifts on all day? And also, I do have a few more questions, which can wait. Thanks again!
~Katy

Congratulations on your tank!

The first thing I would do is return those test strips and get liquid tests, from API. they are waaaay more accurate than those strips and you will need it for the cycle.

A skimmer isnt really necessary, specially at this stage. Good to have but not 100% needed. :)
You seem to be on track! Good luck

I used some of those strips to do a test on my tap water, so I guess I'm keepin' them for back up! So for the liquid, is there anything else that I need to test? And also, how do I clean my tank before adding water? And where should I place my power head? Does it have too much flow? So many questions! :D

Just wash it out with regular water nothing big. That's what I did. For the power head check how much flow it has on the box it say the gallons per hour. (GPH)

Place the power head somewhere that would create good flow. (Mainly up to you) and I'm not a fan of the strips either. They aren't as accurate

Just wash it out with regular water nothing big. That's what I did. For the power head check how much flow it has on the box it say the gallons per hour. (GPH)

It's a 240GPH. I think that we need to exchange it for a 420.

Usually, the owner's there, but last night he wasn't. A new manager was there, and, from what I saw, he only knew about 60% of everything. Like, he just kind of threw stuff at me, and totally forgot about flow, water checks, and everything! By the way, what do you guys use for your water changes?

You know what? I didn't check a few things on my water/sand. Gotta run down real quick and see how "fine" it is. Only one problem: I think that it sprung a leak. Either that, or something else is leaking in my stand, because there isn't any water in my tank yet.

Back
Top Bottom