6 gallon fluval pico reef project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allen m.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm starting this thread to log my fluval as it progresses. It's already a month in with some live stock but no corals yet. Comments and suggestions are always welcome!

image-4096437126.jpg

Second day set up after the sand settled down a bit. Lighting consist of two mr11 cool white 9 watt LEDs and 18" finnex ray 2 day/actinic led 144 .5 LEDs. Filter is a stock 20 with carbon. Puregin and Kent's nitrogen sponge. Heater is a 25 watt aqua nano with digital thermostat. Water flow is hydor mini on a jbj controller. Live sand is from crystal reef sand about 15 pounds in tank with roughly 6 pounds of established live rock from my 55.

image-3093702043.jpg

After a month made an order with reefs2go.com for two snow onyx clowns and a gbta for a total of 179.99 including shipping in that price they arrived 4 days later.... Last Friday to be exact also added one other peace of rock. My order came in happy and parasite free did a one hour drip on the clowns named Adidas and Nikey and a two hour drip for the nem. He moved all over the place for the first day from rocks to sand Ben to scaling the top of the tank. But at night found a Peaceful low flow area to anchor in the crevice of two rocks. Currently waiting for another nano to kill some dead spots and add more alternating currents.

image-356199763.jpg

Came home from work and found my clowns already hosting the nem! Can I get a woot woot.

Attachments

• image-3798493827.jpg
    image-3798493827.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 88
  • image-2990338310.jpg
    image-2990338310.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 82
  • image-2024512796.jpg
    image-2024512796.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 97
  • image-1863686833.jpg
    image-1863686833.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 111
It's a nice setup. I'm sure your aware of tank size for clowns and what a nem needs. So I spare the lecture and just say, you did a great job, looks bigger then a 6. How's your evap rate?

I top off once a day when I wake up for school like half a bottle of water (if that) and the evaporation rate is really low because the opening on the top is small like 6X4 or some where in that vicinity.

I top off once a day when I wake up for school like half a bottle of water (if that) and the evaporation rate is really low because the opening on the top is small like 6X4 or some where in that vicinity.

That's good news. Top offs can be pain. Tank is looking real good bro. Good luck with it and keep us updated on any new additions etc.

Thinking about buying this sunsun canister filter and uv. Have one of there larger models on my 55 gal and works great. Sun sun is the same brand as aquatop but its Japanese model. So it's not a knock off.

image-963909761.jpg

Soo I woke up this morning to see a wonderful bacterial bloom in my fluval and so luckily I had some salt water already mixed so I hurried and did a water change.... Looked all good and clear after that yayy.... Then one hour later boom looks like butt again cloudy as all gets out so one hour before I went to work I tickled the nem of the rock and spend about 45 min trying to scoop the two clowns out and got them all in my 55 gal. What's even worst is the new canister filter I ordered for the fluval came I'm today so I was just thinking oh boy time to set up my new toy... Think again the quarts sleeve and uv bulb that I was so desperately wanting that is built into the canister was shattered :( so now I wait tell Monday for a reply to my email.

Back
Top Bottom