Algea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Babymama18301

Aquarium Advice Activist
I seem to getting this brown stringy algae of some kind it almost looks like brown grass. My level are all in cheek. I do leave my lights on quite a bit is this the cause? The inhabitants are a black and white o clown and a orange and white o clown, a neon goby, cleaner shrimp, harlequin shrimp, and a scooter goby (he's just a baby and will be moved when he's big enough not to be food) snails, and hermits, and a bubbly tip nem and a couple other corals. I do water changes of 10% twice a week Sunday and Thursday. I test my water every Sunday unless a problem arises than I test daily of course. The tanks been running a yr next month. I also would like to know if any one know how get rid of purple Caroline it's growing every where even on the glass! Thank you for your time

Thats hair algae. Some will tell you to increase flow, but of course thats just plain wrong advice for this type algae. It tends to grow in HIGH flow areas such as returns and powerheads. Once it gets to a certain length, not much will touch it. On your return, you will be stuck manually removing it. Try not to let it get away and be blown around as it will take root where it lands and continue growing. A bit of algae is normal, and some of your CUC will keep it in check. Turbo and Turban snails as the best for me with this algae.
If the algae starts to be a problem in more areas, then you have an excess protein problem, normally controlled by feeding less. Reducing lighting, especially whites, can help, but that depends on how long they're on now.
Good Luck

I'm bad with the lights I like to leave them on all day... My nitrates just had a spike yesterday uh oh... Changed some filter media and water change. I will deff cut down on feeding. Should I only feed once every other day. The reason I've been trying keep them fed is I have baby cleaner shrimp in there and would like one to make it.

Back
Top Bottom