BioCube 14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crabs

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anyone else notice that this tank only holds 10 Gal.? Beware to anyone thinking they are actually buying a 14 Gal. tank. All the same, I happen to like it!

Last edited:
Are you meaning after rock and sand displacement or just on it's own with nothing but water? Because with just water it should fit around 13 or so gallons. Mine with rock and sand displacement hold a bit less than 10G

iDream said:
Are you meaning after rock and sand displacement or just on it's own with nothing but water? Because with just water it should fit around 13 or so gallons. Mine with rock and sand displacement hold a bit less than 10G

No. When I purchased this aquarium I wanted an exact measurement on water. Both before and after adding everything, for future reference. Took exactly 10 one Gal. jugs of store bought water to top it off. Then I added the sand and live rock. You would really be amazed at how little it raised my water level after adding everything. I took the extra water out and saved it so again I could get an exact measurement. Less than a half Gal. Being as how the rock is so porous and I don't have a deep sand bed. I challenge anyone to prove me wrong! I didn't modify my tank but I did eventually remove the bioballs

carey said:
My 29g cube holds exactly 18g of water after rock and sand displacement. :-D

I'm guessing that your 29 Biocube doesn't hold 29 Gal. of water either. If your rock and substrate displaced 9 Gal. of water you wouldn't have room for anything else in your tank. I'm seriously not knocking the Biocubes. I love mine. I just wonder how they get away with calling them 14 and 29 Gal. Cubes. Really glad I didn't go with the 8 Gal. Wouldn't be surprised if they hold less than 5

I have almost 50lbs of lr and 30lbs of sand in my cube. it also depends on how high you fill it. To run it seems it has to be at the upper lip of the tank.
:-D

carey said:
I have almost 50lbs of lr and 30lbs of sand in my cube. it also depends on how high you fill it. To run it seems it has to be at the upper lip of the tank.
:-D

Question is. Did you measure the volume of the tank before adding anything? Or did you just assume it was a 29 Gal. because they told you it was? Honestly? And yes, I fill my tank to the lip as well. I have checked online and although there's not much info. Others have noticed as well

Yeah...I noticed that little difference as well. Went to the LFS and bought 7 gallons fresh saltwater and 7 gallons of water "in-use" by their own systems....after filling with JUST the water and 8 pounds of live sand, I had about 4 gallons left. I only removed about a half gallon of water to accomodate the liverock.

tlkng1 said:
Yeah...I noticed that little difference as well. Went to the LFS and bought 7 gallons fresh saltwater and 7 gallons of water "in-use" by their own systems....after filling with JUST the water and 8 pounds of live sand, I had about 4 gallons left. I only removed about a half gallon of water to accomodate the liverock.

Thank u for confirming what I suspected! Mostly I just wanted others to know what they're actually getting

Back
Top Bottom