considering a nano reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MMantelli

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I'm considering doing a nano reef I have a few freshwater tanks already and think I'm ready for salty. I'm going to be doing a diy tank 15x15x15 inches I think it would be a 14.61g tank. I was wandering what all do I need to get it started. I know already circulation pump, heater, substrate, and a powerful light (is 50/50 or acintic better), I would like to do a sump w/refugim do I need a protein skimmer with something that small.
what all tests will I need?
What chemicals will I need?
how long from the time the tanks filled before I can put fish and corals in it?
I pretty much need to know anything and everything I can possibly find out before I even buy the acrylic to build the tank.

Last edited:
One thing I noticed about feather duster worms, is they like less than pristine water conditions. I had one very healthy in my 30 gal that had significant nitrate issues. Once I moved it to the 110 with sump that has had 0 nitrates and phosphates since I purchased it used, my worm soon died. My small muscle ( I think, it was in a hole in a rock) recently died, and my brittle star population (miniature) has dropped to about 10% (guess) of what it used to be when the 110 was a FOWLR and I had my 30. |I have found that filter feeders don't seem to do well in tanks with very clean water.

so the coco worm would be good for a beginner and the lps would not be a good tank mate got it. what would be some good tank mates for a coco worm then? other filter feeders? and what kind of fish would do well with a coco worm in a 14g cube

You don't have to revolve your whole tank/stock list around the coco worm. Being that you're a beginner and the tank is small, it will probably be considered dirtier water (it's all in the water changes and equipment, etc though). Beginner corals like zoas, mushrooms, Duncan's, Xenia, gsp, leathers, etc. are hardy/some tend to do well in dirtier water, and most dont require intense lighting. Later on I'm sure you'd be able to get away with some easy sps, but sps like high flow, pristine water so there has to be a balance if you do want all types of corals/inverts.

So I'm considering doing a nano reef I have a few freshwater tanks already and think I'm ready for salty. I'm going to be doing a diy tank 15x15x15 inches I think it would be a 14.61g tank. I was wandering what all do I need to get it started. I know already circulation pump, heater, substrate, and a powerful light (is 50/50 or acintic better), I would like to do a sump w/refugim do I need a protein skimmer with something that small.
what all tests will I need?
What chemicals will I need?
how long from the time the tanks filled before I can put fish and corals in it?
I pretty much need to know anything and everything I can possibly find out before I http://scienceblogs.com/photosynthesis/2009/08/24/when-most-people-think-of/ buy the acrylic to build the tank.

When you say 50/50 are you talking about PC's? That will grow soft corals and some LPS. Might want to go W/ high output t5s if you can. Sump/refugium is a lot for a 15 gallon. Many People have success with just a HOB filter, but if you have a distinct purpose to get a fuge like building up a pod population, then it would make more sense why'd you want one for a nano.

You don't need a protein skimmer that small. Keep up on water changes and you should be fine.

Test kits are very important. API standard saltwater is okay to start out with to get a sense of where your parameters are for when you're cycling. For ca, kh, mg, and nitrate, a more accurate test kit would be necessary IMO (some good ones are Red Sea or salifert).

You don't even have to dose (speaking mostly for nano tanks IF you don't have a lot of corals using up the elements), that is if you're Doing regular water changes. Quality salt mixes have all those elements in there and you're replenishing them and taking out waste when Doug water changes. If your levels are low, you should dose, but ca, mg, and kh are the main ones you should have if your parameters aren't ideal.

So the cycle. There's an article on this forum about fishless cycling. Check it out if you haven't already. It's hard to say when your cycle will finish, but it can take a month or two more or less. With live rock it can be shorter. Really depends. You can add inverts, fish, and coral when there's 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and about 20-40 nitrate. It's best to add coral when nitrates are as close to 0.

Thank you guys and I'm a little ocd about mu water quality. My overstocked under filtered cichlid tank the nitrates never go above 40 any more. (my tap is 15)

Yes that is the exact reason why I would want a sump is so I can have a refugim unless I run a canister and build a hob refugim. I like my setups to be as natural as possible.

I have read that article a few times I just did my first fishless cycle and it was completed in 16days (it was freshwater though) all my other tanks were done fish in.

How much live rock would I need? And on the flow if I had a decent canister would I still need a circulation pump?

Thank you for the answers there will be more questions to come I'm trying to get everything I need in order on paper and also everything else written down before I even buy the acrylic to make the tank I think I'm gonna bump the measurments up to make it an even 15g. What would be a reccomended depth or at least the minimum depth to build it I might do a short square. And set it up as a walk around.

If you want a natural look go Berlin style and just use your live rock as your filtration. I run a 55g like that (I do use a skimmer tho, because of the tank size) for a 15g I would stock it with at least 20g live rock and perhaps 2 small powerheads for water movement and that it! You will need to keep up with water changes and I advise strongly not to use tap water. Ro-di if you can for top offs and you can purchase natural sea water from your LFS if that's convenient for you ;)

I dunno how comfortable I would feel not having filtration on my first salty.
But since I'm thinking its gonna be a standalone cube of putting all the rock in the center so you can walk all the way around it. That might actually be a cool idea. And do you mean 20# of live rock? And yes I know not to use tap water I would buy live sand and boxed ocean water to start it out with the live rock. And use ro/di to top it off and boxed seawater to do pwc's and the only thing so rd at that is a must have is a coco worm . Now with only 15g I know my stocking limits are pretty limited but is there any fish that are reef friendly small enough I could do 2 and will be ok with soft corals.

Last edited:
This is my first salt tank too, it's not an expert way to do it in fact it is an easier way to do things. I think coming from fresh it's hard to get your head around 'no filter' but it will be a cleaner look for sure. I hear people keep canister filters but others say they are more trouble than they are worth (nitrate factories) Use water changes as your waste removal and make sure to keep stock light and don't over feed :)

Sorry yes I mean 20pounds - or there abouts. The more the merrier really! General rule is 1-2 pounds per gallon. I went for all live rock which was more expensive but I don't regret it, looks good and helps cycle quicker and comes with loads of good (and sometimes bad) hitchhikers!

Loads of nano fish on liveaquaria.com I reckon you could do 2-3 small fish. I have a rainsfords goby (eats the algae) and a purple firefish both suitable for 10g tanks and they are awesome colourful fish that are active swimmers...

Is there any small fish that live in anemones like clown fish I like clownfish but there kinda played out. And what's this I hear about curing live rock wouldn't that kill everything hitch hiking in it?

No not really, or not that I know of. Clownfish are the only fish that 'live' in anemones. Nems are difficult creatures to house anyway so if I were you I wouldn't be thinking about those for a year or so. They also require high lighting, perfect water. There will be die off from live rock but I have creatures a year and a half on still kicking around the tank.

Oh ok good to know. Any suggestions on cool fish that will do well in a nano and how long should I wait before I think about the coco worm and other stuff six months also.

I have a hector's goby which is a nice little addition. He eats algae and sifts the sand. Also purple firefish have great colors and if you can afford one, a helfrichi firefish would be an awesome "show" fish. Also on the expensive side is the blue dotted jawfish, but man is it gorgeous! You definitely have to get a cleaner shrimp. If you have high enough lighting, a clam would be nice and a yellow cucumber (filter feeders though, like feather dusters). Try holding on the inverts besides the shrimp and CUC until your tank is pretty mature. Might want some phytoplankton too.

Yes I know about maturing the tank. I defiantly want a coco worm, a fire clam or is it a fire muscle I don't remember. Bit those are a must so ill have to figure out fish and shrimp that are safe to go with them. Then eventually some kind of an iluminescant coral. And thank you for the ideas ill look them up. It's gonna be awhile before I even start purchasing hardware. So I got plenty of time to pick fish that will do well with the inverts and corals I want.

It's a scallop. I've heard they don't last more than a year, maybe like 8 months top. You can try your luck though. They require phytoplankton often and not directly. It will be hard since your tank is so small--you don't want too much waste.

8 months that's it? That sucks do you think I'd be better off with something like a tridactia clam a young one and by the time it gets bigger ill have a bigger tank to home it in.

Back
Top Bottom