Evolve 8 build with sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well...when I got home last night I went to check on my tank. Only to find that the sump pumps were screaming and there was 6 gallons of water on the floor. My siphon setup failed and I will not be using that style again. I think I am going to go with a hang on the back overflow. Does anyone on here have experience with them? It would have to fit in the back of the evolve 8 which is 6in wide. Someone that I know is selling a 8 gallon Fluval tank. I think I am going to make that as my display tank and use an evolve as a sump because it has a good rear for filtration and I can fill it up with live rock. Let me know if anyone has ideas on a hang on the back overflow that is reliable.

You could always drill the tank. I believe it is acrylic or some sort of plastic so it should be really easy.

I know youre digging the idea of a sump and all, but maybe just run the evolve 8 by itself? You cant really stock it with too many fish so it shouldnt have water parameter issues. I'm really liking the evolve I have and the filtration is sufficient for the 8 gallons in my opinion.

Life Reef is a little out of my price range lol. I am really digging the idea of the overflow box. I will probably add a ATO system at some-point that way if something gets to high or to low, my system will just shut down. The reasons why i want a sump is to have more volume, and a nice bio filter on the bottom. Now I will just have all of my filtration at the bottom. It will be more efficient I think.

So the overflow fits just a little snug with the original return in there(didn't feel like taking everything apart)

Thanks a lot. I'm gonna order one and try it out. Have you had any problems with the siphon breaking? Here is my updated tank got my light on Monday. Very bright brings out the colors of the tank. Will look awesome with coral.

Attachments

• image-4181647434.jpg
    image-4181647434.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 109
Was not a very good shot. Yes there are a pair of clowns in there. There so very cute!

Attachments

• image-715584805.jpg
    image-715584805.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 122
I haven't set mine up on anything yet. I got mine to go on a 15g column tank and I am going to use an evolve 4 as a sump.

I haven't set mine up on anything yet. I got mine to go on a 15g column tank and I am going to use an evolve 4 as a sump.
Is that the column 15? It would be so awesome as a sea horse tank!

I think instead of using another evolve 8 as a sump I am going to just buy a 10 gallon and make a sump out of it.

Is that the column 15? It would be so awesome as a sea horse tank! I think instead of using another evolve 8 as a sump I am going to just buy a 10 gallon and make a sump out of it.

Yeah the column 15, the evolve 4 fits perfectly inside the stand. Seahorse tank is the plan!

Yeah the column 15, the evolve 4 fits perfectly inside the stand. Seahorse tank is the plan!

Do you know what kind you are going to go with?

I now have an extra evolve 8, probably going to post it on the for sale section

No I'm still trying to decide which ones I want.
Now you have me thinking about a seahorse tank. Looks like I am not going to be using any of my evolves. I am going to buy the 8 gallon rimless fluval and do a 10 gallon sump. Going to build a new stand also. Pictures to come!

Now you have me thinking about a seahorse tank. Looks like I am not going to be using any of my evolves. I am going to buy the 8 gallon rimless fluval and do a 10 gallon sump. Going to build a new stand also. Pictures to come!

I'm pretty sure the only seahorses that can fit in there are the dwarfs or hippocampus zosterae as they stay tiny. The others would need a larger tank.

I'm pretty sure the only seahorses that can fit in there are the dwarfs or hippocampus zosterae as they stay tiny. The others would need a larger tank.

That's what I was thinking. Looks like I'm going to have 2 saltwater nano tanks going.

Back
Top Bottom