Evolve 8 build with sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spankege

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been planning a salt water nano setup for a while now and finally decided to pull the trigger.
-evolve 8 x2
- 15 lbs live rock
- 15 lbs live sand
- using evolve stock pump as return. Need more flow
- filter mod to make it 3 chambers
- hydra 240gph
- fluval 50 watt heater
- aqueon 50 watt heater ( sump )
I will add more pictures later. Just wanted to get it online. Let me know what you guys think of my build. I have a boost led light on the way.

Attachments

• image-697764938.jpg
    image-697764938.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 165
  • image-2639860565.jpg
    image-2639860565.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 167
  • image-4094804243.jpg
    image-4094804243.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 186
  • image-75566499.jpg
    image-75566499.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 230
  • image-1043813656.jpg
    image-1043813656.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 191
I have been planning a salt water nano setup for a while now and finally decided to pull the trigger.
-evolve 8 x2
- 15 lbs live rock
- 15 lbs live sand
- using evolve stock pump as return. Need more flow
- filter mod to make it 3 chambers
- hydra 240gph
- fluval 50 watt heater
- aqueon 50 watt heater ( sump )
I will add more pictures later. Just wanted to get it online. Let me know what you guys think of my build. I have a boost led light on the way.

Why do you need a heater in both tanks?

It was laying around, so it's set low just so that water stays around the same temperature. Any ideas doe corals or stocking?

What lights are you using?

Stocking wise, you can't get very much in an 8 gallon. I'm a freshwater guy, but ive researched saltwater

What lights are you using? Stocking wise, you can't get very much in an 8 gallon. I'm a freshwater guy, but ive researched saltwater
Right now I'm using 2 evolve 8 stock lights. My boost led light should be here on Monday. 2 royal blue, 1 regular blue, 1 neutral white and 1 cool white. It's a par30 reef lamp had good reviews figured I would give it a try.

Anyone have any ideas for cleaners for this tank? Something that won't go after corals?

It will be around 6 gallons full. With around 10 lbs of live rock.

Any advice on what corals that will do good under the boost led light? Also, a good cleanup crew that won't harm corals. Thanks

What is the wattage of the boost light? I have the exact same evolve and so far have just three corals: 2 brain corals and a yuma mushroom. Any mushroom, zooa, paly or maybe LPS depending on the actual light will work in there.

As far as cleaners, you can get nasarius snails, hermit crabs or some cerith snails. Most clean up crew like hermits and snails are coral safe. :)

It's a par30 led not sure about wattage. I'm worried about a snail clogging my overflow, even though it's back in the sump they can climb over lol

I will be posting an update video on YouTube and ill post it here. My tank is now starting to cycle. The sand is turning like a rust color in some spots. This is normal for a new tank right? lol

Attachments

• image-3138482081.jpg
    image-3138482081.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 129
The rusty colored stuff is most likely diatoms which will be here and gone before you know it, very typical of a new setup so no need to worry. You are cycling with the lights off right? That will cut down on any possible algae taking hold so soon. :)

I think the evolve is pretty snail resistant, I dont see any where they could possibly clog lol. I have the biocube 29g as well with a similar layout to that of the evolve and I've never had any issue with the inverts. I did have a fish jump over into the back though, he lived there for over a year before I found him! LOL

Well I have a 1/2 in overflow to my sump. The pipe would easily get clogged and go everywhere. I may invest in an ato system so it shuts down if my main tank gets to high.

oh right, I forgot youre going with a sump. lol yeah they can cause some havoc in there if given the chance.

The rusty colored stuff is most likely diatoms which will be here and gone before you know it, very typical of a new setup so no need to worry. You are cycling with the lights off right? That will cut down on any possible algae taking hold so soon. :)
Doesn't the tank need the light to help the cycle along. I may put something in there this week to help it go.

Just thought I would do an update, this morning when I got up for work I noticed that the water level was much higher than it should be. The U tubes seemed to get some air in them. Could this be from not having enough water flow from my pump? Defiantly scary to wake up to your tank almost overflowing. I ordered a new pump because I wanted to have more flow anyways. If someone can chime in and let me know if that is the cause of the pipes to loose their siphon. Thanks guys.

Just thought I would do an update, this morning when I got up for work I noticed that the water level was much higher than it should be. The U tubes seemed to get some air in them. Could this be from not having enough water flow from my pump? Defiantly scary to wake up to your tank almost overflowing. I ordered a new pump because I wanted to have more flow anyways. If someone can chime in and let me know if that is the cause of the pipes to loose their siphon. Thanks guys.

Ive have a small hole drilled in mine at the top of the U tube to let air out so u don't lose syphon.

Ive have a small hole drilled in mine at the top of the U tube to let air out so u don't lose syphon.
I have a check valve at the top I'll get a better picture when I get home. Can you post a picture of your setup? Thanks

This looks great, I am thinking of getting an evolve 8 or 4 myself.

Back
Top Bottom