How to introduce new fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squintyekalb

Aquarium Advice Activist
You saw it. Title says it all.
What's your method of introducing new fish to your tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

After the lights go out for the day in the tank to a well fed tank after a drip acclimation

Spot on Big Red. Make sure it's a darkened room too. This gives the new fish time to find its way around its new world during morning twilight.

I do that as well. He really hit the nail on the head.

I also dose some StressCoat to help the little guy out.

I also put the fish in a measuring glass and scoop the fish out with a little bit of bag water and let him swim out instead of dumping them

-The Reeffantic ??

So I just put in a new black and white ocellaris and he was looking real shakey (swimming quick, turning upside down, belly up for a sec which scared me) and the whole tank is black, no light, well fed. Fingers crossed. How long should I leave it dark for?
I'm really anxious to make sure he's doing alright

You can use a flash light to check on him. IMO as the room slowly get lighter it gives the new fish time to find hiding spots and meet its new roomies.

I'm going to assume that you acclimated your fish. The drip method is preferred.

Just used a flashlight, very low light and peaked around. He's sitting in the bottom corner, swimming in place very fast.... What is this

How can I reduce his stress?

Should I quarantine him?

You could but I don't. I do keep Garlic Extreme by Kent on hand to boost the fishes immune systems so they can fight off ICH. I do have a refugiuem I can turn into a hospital tank if needed.

The problem with a large reef system is once you introduce a new fish it's a real pain to re-catch it. Good luck!

So I've been checking every hour and nothing has really changed. None of my other fish have moved. The new clown almost appears to be changing color too. Like to be paler now.

Success! My new clown is swimming around the tank like he owns the place. My other fish have adapted to the newly rearranged aquascaping and everyone is swimming around! I couldn't be happier! Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Float bag for 5-10 minutes then add half a cup of aquarium water, wait 10 minutes add another cup then 5 minutes then slowly add fish in. Always works!! I even use this method for coral and starfish, snails, hermits and urchins.

Back
Top Bottom