My 20 gal build thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jkm2187

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my friend I recently moved in with had an established 55 gal that he was starting to stock. Intrigued by everything that was going on. Then I decided to start my own. I have fresh water tanks since I was a little kid. So the basics were already there. Two weeks ago I started this build. I'm going to do this thread similar to a car build. So here it goes.

20g tank-free
Deep blue t5ho with moon lights-$79
Aqueon hob 30g filter-$29
Aqueon 500 gph power head- $36 from petsmart, price matched at petco for $18, then went and price matched at petsmart
50g aquarium heater-free
10 lbs of live rock-$40
3 lbs of lace rock-$5

I got the tank from a guy on Craigslist who was giving it away. He said it held water but I went ahead and dug what little of the silicone was left in the seams out and resealed it. Took the extras I couldn't use and traded them at my lfs for a stand and some lr.

My lfs sells premixed water for $1 a g and ro for $0.50 a g. She also adds instant ocean reef accelerator to her water. So this is what I used for my water rather mixing myself. I poured a bottle of bio sphere and here I am cycle complete 2 weeks later. I have about a gallon of evap a week, so for now I'm not to worried about a ro/di unit.

My only issue so far. My lr has aiptasia all over it. I was hoping it would die off in my cycle. But no dice. I know peppermint shrimp are a good option for this and it's already in the plans. Dont really want to use aiptasiax because of the difficulty in reaching them and them retracting. Does anyone have any ideas for nano fish that could take care of this.

Everything I have learned thus far on aquarium set up has come from this forum and I check daily to see what's on the up and up in everyone's tanks.

Yesterday I added my first corals to the tank. I added some really pretty orange zoas and a frag of star polyps. Also I have 3 snails and an emerald crab. And I see some starfish every now and again. Assuming they came with the lr since I didn't at them.

I look forward to everyone's feed back and help with my aiptasia issue. Thank you

Attachments

• image-710737114.jpg
    image-710737114.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 152
Add some peppermint shrimp. They love to eat aiptasia... It worked for me and is highly recommended.

Yes. I have cycled. I have been taking My tank water to my lfs to have her double check my readings.

I will be getting my peppermints on Monday.

Any ideas for any nano fish that could potential wax these things right on out?

Btw I think this picture is a little clearer sorry about that.

Attachments

• image-3340785524.jpg
    image-3340785524.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 145
I already have. I do however need to get whatever the API Reef master kit has that the saltwater master doesn't. I believe they drop ammonia and put in calcium. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The Master Reef Kit tests for Calcium, KH, Nitrates, and Phosphates.

The Saltwater Kit tests for pH, Ammonia, Nitrates, and Nitrites.

Lol API should just make a new kit. "the real absolute saltwater master test kit"

Thanks for the info.

Since you are cycling the removal of aiptasia is simple. Take the rock out and take a lighter to them. Peppermint shrimp are hit or miss for a reason. They are only interested in them when they are really small, and usually by the time people add the shrimp to cure the problem it is beyond too late.

Get used to reaching into your tank, it will be the only way you will solve issues or get things how you want them. It won't hurt anything, as long as you don't use perfume-y lotions and stuff like that. Just dive on in, the water's fine.

Wouldn't a lighter also heat the rock up and kill what ever microscopic stuff is living there? And I am done cycling.

When I get home from work I will post a pic of what I am dealing with.

Just to throw my experience in, I had ZERO luck with peppermints eating aiptasias. I had over a dozen in my tank too and nothing, not a one. LOL

I would remove the rock now, while it's still easy and theres no livestock and nuke the anamone. Make sure you get into the hole the nem will retract into as well.

You also could get some aipastia X, it comes with a syringe and you just inject them and they can die that way as well. But again, if they retract into their hole you may not get them.

My honest opinion here, but I have found these aipastias to be the worst thing I have encountered in all my tanks. They live through most anything and spread like wildfire. I've nuked a whole tank with ammonia to get rid of them before they were so bad. Of course that killed everything else in there as well but I was taking down that tank anyways. My point is, catch these guys in the beginning and it won't get to the point like I was at with hundreds of the little guys. :-D

Good luck!

Ok. So I trade my 2 bulb t5 lamp for a current USA 250w hqi. I get it installed on my tank and the light is very yellow. So yellow it makes my tank look green in pictures. I am wondering if my bulb is bad, I was told it was a 10k bulb which I understand to be a fairly yellow light. To me it shouldn't be this yellow though. Just currious.

Attachments

• image-2671774917.jpg
    image-2671774917.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 80
No matter what, if it's a used light fixture you would be better served to replace the bulb. Yeah , that bulb looks toast! I'd go with a nice 14k.

I agree, I would get a new bulb, a decent one at that. Stay away from the ebay cheapo ones they will yellow out quicker than a good bulb.

I would also say get a nice 14k bulb, it will wipe out some of that yellow. Thats part of the reason I got rid of my halide unit, the light was too darn yellow for me! LOL

Back
Top Bottom