The Bio Cube 29 Information Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Awesome job on this thread bud. If you think it worthy I will add the info on the fuge mod for better flow. It was your idea to me I just tried it lol. Wouldn't have mine were it is without your help for sure.

22engine said:
Awesome job on this thread bud. If you think it worthy I will add the info on the fuge mod for better flow. It was your idea to me I just tried it lol. Wouldn't have mine were it is without your help for sure.

Yeah definitely go for it.

Ok for those that are doing the Fuge and InTank Media basket together this is for you. With the inTank media basket most of the water is directed to go through the basket so you don't get much flow into the fuge side so the chaeto has a hard time growing. So on the advice of my friend convict I did a little trial and error. I purchased a small air pump and ran the air line into the fuge to add some circulation. I also put the light on a timer that runs 12 hours from 6 to 6. Since I have done this I have seen a huge improvement in the color and growth of the chaeto. So in my current set up I have two small pieces of live rock on the bottom with chaeto, and halimedia above it.

I should also note I don't use an air stone. Just the tube. I was worried about tiny bubbles and you get better flow.

Nice brother, glad it all worked out! Now I'm gonna take my own advice ;)

Also pics of you can so we can show others exactly what you did.

I'm hoping this thread becomes the one stop shop for members with BC questions.

Convict2161 said:
Nice brother, glad it all worked out! Now I'm gonna take my own advice ;)

Also pics of you can so we can show others exactly what you did.

I'm hoping this thread becomes the one stop shop for members with BC questions.

Pics will come on Sunday. At work till 330 tomorrow and off to Kenny Chesney from here

Hey I don't want pics of engine...I just want to see the fuge make sure you get pictures of it out of tank on it's side so we can see what is in each chamber.

agreed would like to see this as well.

Also which chamber of HQI makes the most sense to have ATO tube and overflow alarm sensor going into? I assume the chamber with highest water level? I have Tsunami AT1 and generic overflow with sensor that goes off when wet. Just waiting for HQI delivery Monday.

Hondanation09 said:
agreed would like to see this as well.

Also which chamber of HQI makes the most sense to have ATO tube and overflow alarm sensor going into? I assume the chamber with highest water level? I have Tsunami AT1 and generic overflow with sensor that goes off when wet. Just waiting for HQI delivery Monday.

The highest chamber level is chamber one but you wouldn't want the alarm there. I would say chamber three. That we're the level indicator is to show you the recommended high and low. I would personally put the top off there to cause that's we're the circulation pump is and the only place a float switch could go.

I'll post pics and obv not of me lol

Can any1 tell me what kind of coral I can have with these light they are stock. Don't know much else about them. Thanks!

Attachments

• image-2283015852.jpg
    image-2283015852.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 72
Sharkbait54 said:
Can any1 tell me what kind of coral I can have with these light they are stock. Don't know much else about them. Thanks!

If they are the stock biocube lights then you could do low light corals. Such as zoa's mushrooms and some Lps

I've had my biocube running for about a year stock, but now I'm having some issues with nitrates and algae, I'm ordering led upgrade for it, But I was thinking of doing the in tank media w, fuge but can i safely do this? I mean I'd obviously have to Take all th bioballs out and remove the false floors, but is this going to mess with my bio filtration, and i was gonna add the mj 1200 pump upgrade as well! Any insight on this would help

Kato401 said:
I've had my biocube running for about a year stock, but now I'm having some issues with nitrates and algae, I'm ordering led upgrade for it, But I was thinking of doing the in tank media w, fuge but can i safely do this? I mean I'd obviously have to Take all th bioballs out and remove the false floors, but is this going to mess with my bio filtration, and i was gonna add the mj 1200 pump upgrade as well! Any insight on this would help

You can do the MJ1200 with no ill effects. I Would do one media rack at a time. Like for example, you can knock out the false floors, that's fine BUT leave half of the bio balls in and take the other half out so you can fit the media rack then wait a while maybe a couple of weeks and do the other side. Taking them all out will cause you to lose some of your bacteria. Although your live rock in a year should have plenty not to mention your sand. But to play it safe I would do it that way.

You nitrAte issue may on fact be coming from the plastic bio balls. They a breeding ground for trates, have you cleaned them at all since it's been up and running?

Phosphates is probably your cause of algae, that or your light schedule or both. What is your phosphate level at? How is your schedule with water changes? How often do you feed?

I just got mine so it's empty. Should I go ahead and take the bio balls out and replace with media? Also how much live sand should I add. (29 biocube) and on CL I found a guy selling 35pounds of LR for 100$ is that good?

Sharkbait54 said:
I just got mine so it's empty. Should I go ahead and take the bio balls out and replace with media? Also how much live sand should I add. (29 biocube) and on CL I found a guy selling 35pounds of LR for 100$ is that good?

Yes on would go with the media rack as fuge personally. Don't use the balls. You can take them all out now and start fresh. You have options with the media rack. You can go like this

Filter floss
Purigen
Phosguard or chemi pure elite.

Read my post on how to do the fuge with an airline to help with macro growth. Probably easier to run the air line tubing while it is dry as opposed to full of water like mine. The live rock would be a good deal if it is still cured live rock. Which means still in a tank with a heater and moving water. As far as send bed its your choice. I have 35-40 pounds in mine with a nice deep bed. Just remember to put the rock in then add sand around it.

22engine said:
Yes on would go with the media rack as fuge personally. Don't use the balls. You can take them all out now and start fresh. You have options with the media rack. You can go like this

Filter floss
Purigen
Phosguard or chemi pure elite.

Read my post on how to do the fuge with an airline to help with macro growth. Probably easier to run the air line tubing while it is dry as opposed to full of water like mine. The live rock would be a good deal if it is still cured live rock. Which means still in a tank with a heater and moving water. As far as send bed its your choice. I have 35-40 pounds in mine with a nice deep bed. Just remember to put the rock in then add sand around it.

Do I have to buy a media rack or just stack the media?

I have actually never cleeaned the bio balls cuz the lfs said not to they said by cleaning them they would lose their bio organisms, I do water changes every two weeks, I kinda got behind on it, so now every two weeks water change because i had red slime algae, i cut the lights back after the slime, it's finally going away been bout a month since started treating slime.....I feed every other day, I'm sure it's my phosphates for the algae I don't know they exact phos levels, but right now i have the blues come on at 9 whites on at 10- whites off at 6 blues off at seven....is that too much I appreciate all the help I am still new to this, learning as I go.....as far as doing half the rack, i have bout 50 lbs live rock in tank, does that matter, and when I do it what should i put in the 1st rack as far as chemicals?

Back
Top Bottom