The Bio Cube 29 Information Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
In the past few days I've seen a ton of Bio Cube 29 threads. Asking if they're any good, what mods can be done, and what people have done to theirs. I'd like any and all BC29 an BC14 owners to please join in and lets all stay on topic as I'd like this to be a very informative thread for others.

First a little about me:
I've been in freshwater for a while with a 75 gallon mixed African Cichlid tank and I love it. I've had my cube(29g)up and running for 9 months with no issues (knock on wood)

At the end I will add some pics and videos of my tank and I hope others will share their pics as well.

On to the the first of many questions I've seen in the past few days.

"is the stock filtration sufficient?"

In short yes it is, can you get more out of it? Yes you can, how you ask? Well here's a quick video that is sure to peak your interest.

There are few options you have. You can go all out with a media rack, cutting the tab from chamber 1&2, upgrading the stock pump to the MJ1200

inTank Aquatics

With this cheap upgrade you'll go from 243gph to 295gph

Also IMO toss those plastic media balls. There a breeding ground for nitrAtes if not cleaned an the problem with cleaning them is you can't clean them all at the same time. You'd have to clean a little a time or you'll kill your (BB) beneficial bacteria.

Also with the media rack and water directional I place you'll aid on flow thus improving filtration as well. IMO it's worth it.

Also I've seen a lot of question about skimmers, now keep in mind this is just based on my own experience and I hope to help others. With that said. Skimmers on a BC29 or BC14 are not needed. Will they help? Maybe... IMO it's a waste and better off spending your money on a sweet power head(which I'll touch on later) or some corals.

I had a Tuze9002 in chamber 2 for 9 months and never had to empty the cup. Waste of time and space. In chamber 2 the water level is never consistent so I your gonna do a skimmer I suggest placing it in chamber 1.

If your go the mod route you'll have to knock out the false floors which is easily done with a flat head screw driver.

If your religious with your water changes weekly you can get by without a skimmer.

Now lighting. This is always a big thing with the cube. The stock lights can support a lot of corals an your tank can do very well. BUT if you wanna take your reef keeping to the next level a light upgrade will be needed.

Keep in mind that the Bio Cube does come in a metal halide version which will allow a wider range of corals. It's called the BC 29 HQI

Also the stock lights cause a heat issue sometimes at least it did for me. I went the LED route. I gutted the stock hood and added the AI SOL BLUE LED fixture and controller.

http://www.aquaillumination.com/sol/

http://www.aquaillumination.com/accessories/controller.html

It was easy to do and took and 30 minutes.

I've tried other fixtures that were nice but it required the hood to be removed. I like the sleekness of the tank with the hood on so I returned the 2 fixtures I was testing out.

I tried these 2

http://www.aquaticlife.com/products/286

I also tried a metal halide with white and blue LED's I forget the name.

They were bright, too bright as light escaped the sides and lit up the walls,floors and ceiling. The cube is in my bedroom so that was a no go.

Also it required an egg crate or light diffuser to cover the top.

PLASKOLITE 24 in. x 48 in. White Egg Crate Lighting Louver (5-Pack) LP2448EGG-5 - The Home Depot

So in the end for me. The AI was the way to go. And now I can pretty much get whatever corals I want. With the controller you can change the intensity however you choose, and you can also set the timers to ramp up and down as you see fit. I have my light to start ramping up at 7am at noon it at white 40% blue 60% royal blue 80%. I like the more bluish look rather then the white.

Also the fans aren't as quite as I'd expect so that was another factor that played into the LED conversion.

Also let me add there are ALOT of DIY LED kits you can find on eBay and other sites. It boils down to budget and if your comfortable installing these. Here's an example.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=280746129182

http://www.rapidled.com/biocube-29-constant-current-retrofit-kit-24-led/

I think I just on the basics of the lighting.

Power heads. Here's a interesting topic, many will debate this issue. Again I can only share what I've been through. I have 2 Koralia 425's and I like it but the fact that the motors are in the tank it also increased heat.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=23591

After much debate and researching and reading online I tossed out those 2 power heads and added 1 of these.

VorTech - Propeller Pump

The mp10, and man I'm glad I did. Expensive? Yeah but you get what you pay for in this hobby. It has many modes to play around with including a cool night time mode feature.

It's more then a power head as it actually moves the entire body of water eliminating dead spots. You can choose the % of power you want it on and what mode too, example I have mine set on lagoon mode at 70%

At first I was scared and didn't like it but now that the corals are use to it I couldn't be happier.

So can you keep the Bio cube stock? Of course! Will you have a great tank yes! But with all the mods why stop at stock?

You can add a fuge on chamber 2 also as so many have done.

If your looking into the Bio Cubes hopefully this will help you make your decision a little easier.

On my cube I do 5 gallon water changes once a week, I change out my filter floss 2x's a week.

Temp is 76-78 degrees.

I never dosed until recently due to coral growth an low calcium levels. I use B-ionic 2 part.

E.S.V. Aquarium Products - Featured Brands - Bulk Reef Supply

Just to add, patience is key in this hobby. Nothing is gonna happen overnight. Nothing good anyway.

Assuming your not totally new to this I left out cycling, live rock, live sand etc. but if you have questions ask away.

Now here are some pictures of my tank which as I said had the mp10, upgraded pump, inTank media rack holding. Top filter floss, middle purigen and bottom phosguard.

Chamber 1 has my heater and chemi pure elite.

image-4160877869.jpg

image-639002040.jpg

image-1225980700.jpg

image-4126854858.jpg

image-4051018396.jpg

image-2295861848.jpg

image-1547595553.jpg

image-4015348518.jpg

image-729015144.jpg

image-2629909342.jpg

image-1690908768.jpg

I hope this helps and makes sense. Anything that needs to be added please feel free. I made this thread to be as informative as possible based on my experince with my own BC29 for those who are thinking about the Bio Cube.

image-1528393562.jpg

image-451854851.jpg

image-3003582276.jpg

image-1684782628.jpg

image-2039710590.jpg

image-3641919128.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys. It was done on my iPhone going on only 3 hours sleep. If I missed anything please let me know.

Hard to argue with anyone who keeps a tank this beautiful & healthy. My only question is about the skimmer. You mentioned never getting skimmate. Could it possibly have not been adjusted for optimum skimming? But with results like you are getting obviously it's thriving and your eye for aquascaping is top notch so guess the no skimmer route is a non issue lol.

Keithhjs said:
Hard to argue with anyone who keeps a tank this beautiful & healthy. My only question is about the skimmer. You mentioned never getting skimmate. Could it possibly have not been adjusted for optimum skimming? But with results like you are getting obviously it's thriving and your eye for aquascaping is top notch so guess the no skimmer route is a non issue lol.

This what I found through research and and a friend who found a article on it. The TUNZE9002 goes in chamber 2 which the water level is NEVER consistent enough to keep the skimmer working properly. The water level would drop due to normal evaporation. The aquaticLife skimmer that goes into chamber 1 does a way way way better job due to the fact the chamber 1's water level remains for the most part the same.

If I were to do a skimmer again down the road it would be that one for sure.

So far nothing has changed though and with 5 gallons a week it seems to be holding its own.

And thank you for the kind words.

Convict2161 said:
Thanks guys. It was done on my iPhone going on only 3 hours sleep. If I missed anything please let me know.

Great thread, hopefully this helps clear up some of the biocube questions the past few days. Ive never owned one but looks like you covered most bases.

Schism said:
Great thread, hopefully this helps clear up some of the biocube questions the past few days. Ive never owned one but looks like you covered most bases.

Thanks Schism! I figured with the swarm of bio cube threads maybe this thread of the basics will help others at least I hope.

Armoredspider said:
So should I get a hqi or regular?

Armoredspider said:
I was hoping to add an al sol later. Will it matter with the hqi?

You can get either. There are a few more mods for the regular Bio Cube. If planning a light upgrade like the AI either tank will work.

But! Here's a thought. If your going to upgrade the light then why spend the extra money for the HQI? Wouldn't make sense. Get the basic model, save the cash and put towards your light upgrade.

But in short I've seen the BC29 HQI's with the AI NANO SUPER BLUE LED fixture.

http://www.aquaillumination.com/nano/

This light can also be controlled with the controller and not the touch dimmer. IMO the touch dimmer was a sales pitch and really isn't all that great. Better off getting the controller. You'd be amazed at what you get this light to do.

Last edited:
this thread would have saved a lot of questions from me...thanks. as for the heater the lfs said a jager 150w would not fit the biocube hqi...he said it was physically to long?

Any other ideas?

Is last chamber a good place as well...one with pump?

Seeing how your bc29 looks makes me want one lol. Now to convince the mrs. we need another reef!!??!!?

How about a section on a sump? That was the best Mod I have ever done for my Biocube.

Hondanation09 said:
this thread would have saved a lot of questions from me...thanks. as for the heater the lfs said a jager 150w would not fit the biocube hqi...he said it was physically to long?

Any other ideas?

Is last chamber a good place as well...one with pump?

I have this heater it fits anywhere in the back

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Hydor-Theo-100-Watt-Heater-HY00035.htm

Mine is in chamber 1. You don't need that big of a heater. Your gonna find your probably gonna have to turn it down or even off.

My heater has been unplugged for months and my tank temp is almost 80. It dropped a little due to the AC's blasting but the heater is set at 78.

Pete1122 said:
How about a section on a sump? That was the best Mod I have ever done for my Biocube.

Feel free to add to the thread. I have not done a sump but I've seen a few in YouTube. I you've done one and have pictures and reference sites etc. feel free to add to this. Hopefully this can be a go to thread for all those with bio cube questions. The site has been swamped with bio cube threads from members and I was typing the same thing 5 times lol. Figured this would b easier in the future I can just link the thread and hopefully it answers there questions.

Back
Top Bottom