Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-09-2014, 12:31 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nope

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 10-09-2014, 01:12 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Could also be the result of hydrogen sulfide aside from amonia and nitrite. Since you only have corals you can do 90 pc pwc. That way it removes quickly whatever toxic gas remaining in the system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:21 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
Could also be the result of hydrogen sulfide aside from amonia and nitrite. Since you only have corals you can do 90 pc pwc. That way it removes quickly whatever toxic gas remaining in the system.
Tha's a good point. If It is, youd smell rotten eggs with the tank. If you do a seriously large water change over 50% be sure everything matches perfectly. Ph, temp, salinity,.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:13 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Tha's a good point. If It is, youd smell rotten eggs with the tank. If you do a seriously large water change over 50% be sure everything matches perfectly. Ph, temp, salinity,.
I don't smell anything. I'm going to continue doing a daily 25% w/c anyways at least til Sunday. Thanks for the help guys.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 10-09-2014, 06:41 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
When you add a new coral do you really acclimate it that way or just do a coral dip?

Old 10-09-2014, 07:37 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
When you add a new coral do you really acclimate it that way or just do a coral dip?
I drip acclimate everything. No point in shocking corals with a sudden ph and salinity change
Old 10-09-2014, 09:35 PM   #37
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quote:
I drip acclimate everything. No point in shocking corals with a sudden ph and salinity change

And acclimation to light is necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:01 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Corals have specific parameter to thrive on and LFS do maintain them in such standard level otherwise they will keep losing them. We the reef keepers do the same thing. If you take the parameter readings of your new corals i bet you the only difference would be just the temperature. Other data may differ but it would not be that much. Some acclimate them and some just float the bag in the tank until it has the same temperature. I do the later and never had a problem.

Old 10-10-2014, 01:29 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Corals have specific parameter to thrive on and LFS do maintain them in such standard level otherwise they will keep losing them. We the reef keepers do the same thing. If you take the parameter readings of your new corals i bet you the only difference would be just the temperature. Other data may differ but it would not be that much. Some acclimate them and some just float the bag in the tank until it has the same temperature. I do the later and never had a problem.
Well, you must have an amazing lfs because the corals I've seen from two different sources have a lower pH, salinity, calcium, and alkalinity than I try to run my tank at.

Bottom line, the basic rule of reef keeping is slow and steady. Why rush things when you can throw it in a bucket and ignore it for a couple hours while it acclimates?

Tying things back to my original comment towards the OP in an attempt to get this thread back on track: The parameters in freshly mixed water are often a fair amount different than your tank values due to co2, slightly depleted mineral levels, and whatnot. It doesn't make hardly any difference in a smaller change of 50% or less but in a larger water change (such as the suggested 95%) those differences can be drastic.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:48 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

For fish yes it is absolutely necessary to acclimate them because lfs keep them in low salinity for comfort but they are not bothered by calcium or magnesium.

Tags
ammonia, level

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com