.25 ammonia levels.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tobykourtney

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm away from home for a week because of my job and a turbo snail died and brought my ammonia up to .25. My wife doesn't know how to do a waterchange. So I guess my question is will this crash my tank. My wife sent me a pic of the tank and everything looks pretty upset. My logic is the biological filtration should break down the ammonia by the end of the day to nitrates, then the 10 gallon fuge I have plumbed to my 20 gallon tank should consume the nitrates pretty quickly. Does this sound about right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm jumping into sw here, will prime detox same as fw application?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

By the time you figure out what to do it'll have converted to nitrates. I highly doubt a snail death raised your ammonia that high. That is one large snail if so. I'd be more inclined that it is a poorly done test.

By the time you figure out what to do it'll have converted to nitrates. I highly doubt a snail death raised your ammonia that high. That is one large snail if so. I'd be more inclined that it is a poorly done test.

I would say poor test result but everything in the tank is closed up. It was a really large turbo snail around 2 inches. Would prime actually work for saltwater?

It official my tank is in ruin

Sorry to hear the bad news on your tank. A 20 gal tank is really difficult to maintain as the parameter can fluctuate very quickly. If you have a larger tank like 60 gal the bb could probably neutralize the ammonia from the dead snail of that size. The 2 inch snail is just too large and your bb is overwhelmed. The prime could have helped if it was applied on time. Was the snail removed when it was found dead?

It official my tank is in ruin

So what happened? Even in a 20g I find it hard to believe that a dead turbo snail could crash a tank. Ive had miltiple turbos die in that size of a tank without issues.

So what happened? Even in a 20g I find it hard to believe that a dead turbo snail could crash a tank. Ive had miltiple turbos die in that size of a tank without issues.

I have no idea man. I left for 5 days and came back and most of my zoanthids are melted and my frogspawn is shriveled up. I'm going to do 5-10 gallon w/c daily until it gets better and dose prime daily. Hopefully it'll get better

I checked nitrates 10, nitrites .25 and .5 ammonia. I just moved the tank about 10 days ago so maybe I'm having a mini cycle

If you have disturbed the substrate when moving then yes you will expect your parameter to go bad. If you removed the sand and putt it back then you will even expect the worse cause those ammonia will take awhile to subside even with water changes. The snail was probably the 1st casualty.

I didnt mess with the sand at all. I only moved a mile down the road so I drained the water moved the tank to the car then filled it back up with water. I used an ac/dc converter to keep the circulation pumps and heater working the whole time. Then did the the same thing to get it in the house.

I didnt mess with the sand at all. I only moved a mile down the road so I drained the water moved the tank to the car then filled it back up with water. I used an ac/dc converter to keep the circulation pumps and heater working the whole time. Then did the the same thing to get it in the house.

This is what moved your sand and caused your parameter spike. Pretty common when you move a tank.

This is what moved your sand and caused your parameter spike. Pretty common when you move a tank.

I got some cycled media from the lfs hopefully it'll help get everything back in order

What are the parameters at? Was there any chance the lights were on for too long?

Tested today and got 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, .25 phosphate, and 0 nitrate.

Here's my frogspawn as of today. Is he a done for?

Now that you got most of your water chemistry back in line it might some back but your phosphate level is still to high

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

My frogspawn didn't make it :-(. My ammonia nitrate nitrite and phosphate have been zero for 2 days. My wife had to go to a doctors appointment in Bismark and brought back an acan as a surprise. I would return it but 150 miles is a long way to return something she spent 20 bucks for. He's eating so I'm thinking he's okay.

Back
Top Bottom