Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-28-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

60 Gallon Stocking

It was my interest in puffers that led me to set up my saltwater tank. It has been up and running now for about 5 months. I have not added the puffer to my tank yet as it will be my last addition because I've been stocking based on aggression and wanted other tankmates in before the puffer. While I have been researching for quite some time now I am obviously still learning and wanted opinions on my stock. Here is the information for my setup.

Tank Specs:
60 gallon

75lbs rock (50live and 25 dry initially)

Fish: (order they were added)
Starry Blenny (Salarias ramosus)
Ocellaris Clown Pair (Amphiprion ocellaris)
Melanarus Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus)

CUC:
Various Snails
Hermits
Peppermint Shrimp(2)

Corals:
Ricordia
Purple Mushroom
Zoa Colony
Snowflake Polyp Colony
Sinularia Leather
Sun Coral

Equipment:

Reef Octopus BH-2000 (rated for 125g by manufacturer and 100g by BRS)
Maxi-Jet 900
Maxi-Jet 1200

All fish were added with plenty of time in between and I have not had an ammonia/nitrite spike since cycling. Also, cycling was done with the live rock, was documented, and I did watch the levels rise then fall appropriately.

There hasn't been any issues between any of the fish. The wrasse was added just over a week ago.

The puffer I would like to add is the Papuan Toby (Canthigaster papua). If, for any reason, I am not able to get the Papuan my next two choices are; Bennett's Sharpnose puffer (Canthigaster bennetti) and Blue Spotted Puffer (Canthigaster solandri).

I wanted opinions on whether this list has me fully stocked or if I would be able to add in one more small fish. I don't have a particular one in mine at the moment, though I do love gobies (unsure of how my blenny would feel). I do not want to overstock and cause water quality issues or any other issues that could arise from overstocking. I am just still new/learning and really wasn't sure and am wanting to do this correctly. Stocking, when it comes to certain situations or isn't very obvious, is something I haven't completely grasped. Also, I'm in no hurry to add the next fish, I know patience is key and I'm just looking for information.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I have another 10lbs of live rock that is curing and will be added to the tanks once ready.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Bump.

I would really appreciate some advice as I'm pretty new to saltwater and still learning.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Depending on the puffer you get it won't be coral safe and some require bigger tanks. Not sure about your puffers though and I think you should be able to add more with out the puffer. Just my opinion
Old 01-29-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfirman View Post
Depending on the puffer you get it won't be coral safe and some require bigger tanks. Not sure about your puffers though and I think you should be able to add more with out the puffer. Just my opinion
I've researched the puffer (puffers in general) and I know what to expect. I know it may or may not bother corals and my CUC. I'm not concerned. I'll set up another, smaller tank, for the corals if needed.

The puffers I want require on average a 30-50 gallon tank, so I'm good there.

Since I got into this hobby because of puffers, the puffer will be added, I wouldn't not get the puffer just to have other fish. The tank just looks kinda empty to me I guess.

I just don't know if the puffer leaves me stocked or if another small fish would be okay. Still unsure of how exactly you know that sort of thing.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey Amanda, I can't offer any advice on your stocking list. But I can tell you that I found a really cool forum. It's called "the puffer forum"
They have some really good information. Everything you could ever want to
Know about puffers.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also, it doesn't seem like you are capacity. You have a great skimmer and should be able to add a couple more fish
Old 01-29-2013, 09:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmann View Post
Hey Amanda, I can't offer any advice on your stocking list. But I can tell you that I found a really cool forum. It's called "the puffer forum"
They have some really good information. Everything you could ever want to
Know about puffers.
Thanks ! I'm actually a member there. Thats the first forum I joined when I first realized I wanted to set up a puffer tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmann
Also, it doesn't seem like you are capacity. You have a great skimmer and should be able to add a couple more fish
I don't quite feel like I am either. Thats why I even asked. I definitely wouldn't consider adding another fish, or asking about it, if I really thought I was stocked. I do know puffers have a larger bioload with their messy eating but I also believe a lot of the food pieces that may escape the puffer would be eaten by the wrasse/clowns and maybe CUC (if they're not eaten by the puffer).

I'm not sure what fish I would want to add honestly, something small and compatible of course. I love gobies but don't know if my blenny would tolerate one.

I feel pretty good about my skimmer choice as well, I researched quite a while before I purchased one. Its rated for larger than my tank.

I'll also have very close to 1.5lbs of live rock per gallon (5lbs short) once the last ten cures.

I'm just not comfortable when it comes to stocking yet and knowing what is or isn't overstocked. Unless its something obvious of course, like a fish in a tank thats too small for that fish to begin with.

I just want to do this right and feel like this is a good place to get the advice I'm looking for.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:11 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Curious if you have a sump or just the LR and skimmer?. I would maybe think after the puffer if no extra water volume (via sump) might be enough of a bio load to call it stocked.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I will be picking up a octopus xp3000 when I pick up my porcupine. Luckily a friend of mine is selling it to me and paying him a little at a time.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithhjs View Post
Curious if you have a sump or just the LR and skimmer?. I would maybe think after the puffer if no extra water volume (via sump) might be enough of a bio load to call it stocked.
No, no sump. I'm not honestly sure if I could manage one in the stand, maybe something small.

I just don't feel comfortable setting up a sump being so new to this, afraid I'd mess something up.

I'm thinking it will either be stocked with the puffer, or maybe one more small fish, and no more than that. I guess I'm thinking maybe one more too because the tank just looks so empty to me. But again I don't want to overstock. I'm just honestly not sure.

If I added another, besides the puffer, I would want it to be next and the puffer last.

I really like the clown gobies, not sure how my blenny would react, but something along those line would be what I would like to add if it wouldn't be overstocking. Open to opinions there too of course.

Tags
60 gallon, gallon, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com