75 gallon reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Price just sounds to good to be true lol. Anyone think a pink birds nest will be ok with my lighting? I am in the process of putting in two new bulbs. 4x54 t5ho

I've been keeping some arcopora birdsnest under my 4 X54w t5's. I do keep them towards the top though and they are growing really really well. The one has quadrupled in size over 2 months. :-D i also have brand new ATI bulbs in my bad boy. lol

edit** The ro/di unit was really cheap that was a concern for me but it's working out real well. The replacement filters are $19 for the 3 and I think $50 for the three and the DI filter. So it's almost cheaper to buy a new one when the filters go out. Make sure you have a tds meter so you can tell when that happens if you invest in the unit.

I've been keeping some arcopora birdsnest under my 4 X54w t5's. I do keep them towards the top though and they are growing really really well. The one has quadrupled in size over 2 months. :-D i also have brand new ATI bulbs in my bad boy. lol

edit** The ro/di unit was really cheap that was a concern for me but it's working out real well. The replacement filters are $19 for the 3 and I think $50 for the three and the DI filter. So it's almost cheaper to buy a new one when the filters go out. Make sure you have a tds meter so you can tell when that happens if you invest in the unit.

What ATI bulbs did you go with?

I got the aquablue specials and the reg. blues. Gives my tank a not so washed out white look now vs the lamps (10k) I was using.

I got the aquablue specials and the reg. blues. Gives my tank a not so washed out white look now vs the lamps (10k) I was using.

2 of each im assuming

Edit: just took a good look at my light fixture. I have 2 ATI Blue Plus , 1 ATI aquablue special, and 1 regular fluorescent bulb... Ordered another ATI Aquablue special from aquacave. They have a great shipping rate.

Picked up a pink birdsnest frag today. I superglued it pretty high in the tank. Again I feel the superglue method is a nasty, messy PITA. I need some putty or something. How is caring for the birdsnest different than my soft corals? Hope I didn’t make a mistake.

you didn't necessarily make a mistake. sps will need a bit more random flow than soft corals or lps. birdsnest coral is not acropora. it's seriatopora. much easier to take care of than acropora IME.

how are you gluing it? you are using superglue gel, correct?
the putty is not much better. i would use the glue over something like "reef putty".

yea, I am using the gel. I glued it out of the water and when I put it in I got a film on the surface. then of course as the frag lowered in, it got covered as well. The film came off the frag pretty easy in the water but still had me worried. There must be an easier way.

I see reefs with a constant drip coming out of a jug into the sump sometimes. What is this?
Also the birdsnest my frag came off of was like a neon pink and my frag is a brownish color. How long should it take to color up?

i squirt the gel on under the water.
the constant drip you mentioned is probably kalkwasser, calcium, or alk supplement. you may or may not need this according to your salt mix, your water change schedule, and your coral load.

in just a few weeks you can color up sps with the right parameters and lighting.

The drip can be an auto top off or it can be some type of additive, Kalk, Calcium, dKH. Or some other additive.
The time it takes to color up depends on how happy it is... it may never color up, or it could be a vibrant pink within a week or two.

Too bright, too dim, too salty, not enough salt, too high of pH, too low of pH, too much of ammonia, nitrite, and/or nitrate, not enough food, not the right type of food, something in the water that you can't test for that the corals don't like... there are a lot of variables it's hard to know what is causing it. Keeping stable water parameters is the best thing you can do.

I really need some test kits and some digtal mointors. When I upgrade downstairs I will have to get more equipment. Everything is just so expensive.

you got the BN frag just a couple days ago. sps doesn't change color that quickly in my experience, unless it turns white. i think it was the other guys' lighting that made the coral look more pink. i wouldn't worry about it just yet.

The tips of mine are white... Is this normal growth? Also, I superglued the end of it on a flat surface. It is standing like a tree. Will this bond stronger as it grows to support its increasing weight. Sorry, just wanna make sure I got this right. I will post a pic in a bit.

Back
Top Bottom