75 gallon reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lol. Nope I would atleast want something out of this guy for the money I payed for it. If you haven't found one buy the time I want to sell it you can have it. But you will prob have one buy then lol

I have to say this is probably my favorite fish... When my tank is finally going I will try to get a mated pair.
MandarinBlue.jpg

If you can get the ORA Aquacultured ones they are supposed to be pretty good. If not then you need a healthy Pod population to support them. As long as there is food they will eat then they do great. Some times wild ones can be trained to eat store bought food but that's the "hard" part of keeping them, having a good Pod population is best.

it takes time. they populate the tank on their own. you can add a bottle of pods to the tank to kick start the colony, but i really don't think a 75 is the place for 2 mandarins that aren't eating prepared foods.

also, you have to take care not to add any other fish that compete with them for food.

Manderines are one of the harder fish to keep from what I've been told. Also, try not to get any other pod eaters or have a LOT of pods because they aren't aggressive and other pod eaters will starve them out. Only for well established (9-12 month old) tanks.

Large sump where they can grow will help with pods. Large tanks with no other pod eaters is good. You can buy pods and put them somewhere in your system to start growing before you get one. Not recommended for the beginner.

How do I know this? I loved them and wanted one for my new tank and everyone I've spoken to told me NO! :( I may still get one once my tank has been up and running but it will be a 90g with a 55g sump...

it takes time. they populate the tank on their own. you can add a bottle of pods to the tank to kick start the colony, but i really don't think a 75 is the place for 2 mandarins that aren't eating prepared foods.

also, you have to take care not to add any other fish that compete with them for food.

not really interested in the fish, do the pods provide anything to the tank?

Some more pics...
FTS
img_1206111_0_405cb0726794c8aa530ca621072d7eeb.jpg
[/IMG]

Side
img_1206111_1_516bd4eec240d74848faf23c64edd011.jpg
[/IMG]

The Gang
img_1206111_2_9242ea1bc20e497857ee1458d5d311dc.jpg
[/IMG]
img_1206111_3_c31c5e5cb50205f093c64bee5426b797.jpg
[/IMG]
img_1206111_4_81980ecfc124f2d9844974b3cf4c259c.jpg
[/IMG]

Pom Pom
img_1206111_5_213f2b960c4f19da5accfe1dbe817766.jpg
[/IMG]

Tiger Nassarius
img_1206111_6_af57db771a1ee4a38ae9eb5f649ee697.jpg
[/IMG]

Feather Duster
img_1206111_7_cb37a91bb6fbfb4c6812cb8004ae8b61.jpg
[/IMG]

I was saying he could possibly have one if he wanted it... and that I hope to have a pair in mine. If he wanted a pair I believe there are a few aquacultured ones on the market.
Yes, they provide movement, they eat small uneaten pieces of food and/or some algae. They also give your fish something to hunt. I believe having pods helps to make some of your fish that only come out to feed, come out more often because they can search for food.

Yea, thats my favorite too. I often wonder a lot of things about his anemones. So many questons.

i think you need a lot more live rock before you consider a mandarin, let alone two. unless like greenmaster said, you can find some that eat prepared foods. this is not a normal occurrence, and is very rare. make sure you see them eating prepared foods BEFORE you purchase them, because it's not something that's easily trainable.

i think you need a lot more live rock before you consider a mandarin, let alone two. unless like greenmaster said, you can find some that eat prepared foods. this is not a normal occurrence, and is very rare. make sure you see them eating prepared foods BEFORE you purchase them, because it's not something that's easily trainable.
He said he isn't interested in the mandarins... that was my thing.
Also I believe that the aquacultured ones are all on prepared foods.

Back
Top Bottom