Activated carbon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pat8you

Aquarium Advice Addict
If i have Activated carbon to help filter stuff out of my tank and i am adding phytoplankton for my ricordia mushrooms will the AC take the phytoplankton out as well? Also what are your suggestions for how long before i replace the AC?

12 gal SW tank
2x clowns
~1.5 lbs/gal for filtration

No, Activated Carbon will no take phytoplankton out of your tank. It only helps in removing dissolved organic compounds, heavy metals, trace elements, etc.

Depending on the amout of AC you add would depend on how often you need to replace it. I'd guess around every 1-2 months.

HTH

Last edited:
I have REEF CARBON, not regular carbon, four days per month. I don't leave it in there as most of it's usefulness is done in two to three days from everything I've read, then it's just a debris trap.

Just what I do based on all of my research on the matter. I basically use it to polish the water.

I use Chemi-pure for my GAC. However, I would be carefull about adding phyto to a 12gal tank. It can foul water quickly. IME, mushrooms and ricordia do not really benifit from phyto as they are not filter feeders. IMHO...there is no need to provide phyto for your mushrooms. Light and protein foods are all that are needed.

Agree with Lando. Phyto is really of NO use to corals. Save it for filter feeders (clams, dusters, etc...)

Ok. I was just putting it in there cuz the guy at the LFS suggested it. What do you guys think i should supplement with? If i even need to.

You can hand feed corals protein foods (meaty foods that you make out of shrimp, fish, etc...), or you can simply feed the fish the same food a couple times a week and the corals will catch the smaller particles of food the fish miss. Do a search on here and you will find many receipes for making your own frozen fish food.

I basically use it if I have problems in the tank. Sometimes if you overuse it in your tank you can strip your water of needed trace elements.

Back
Top Bottom