Algae or Bacteria?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwright

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have plenty of Brown Algae, but the snails and scarlet hermits have been doing a great job on that. However, I am starting to see patches of film that is deep purple in color appearing on the sandy bottom. When I attempted to siphon it out with my water change it came up almost like a blanket.

The Hermits or the Snails avoid these areas. I attempted some research on cyano bacteria (that is what I suspect it is) but was fairly unsuccessful, was wondering if someone new what it was and what to do about it? Would adding Live Sand to the Tank help? If so should I siphon out the sand that I have in there now?

Everything tests great 0 ammonia - 0 nitrites - 5 ppm nitrates - pH 8.3. I have not tested for phosphates mainly because I have not seen a test kit for this.

I am currently using 6 - 15 watt aqua rays florescent bulbs - that was on my original fresh water tank as well as treated aged tap water. Switching to RO water soon.

Since I am asking a million questions anyways - does anyone know a good site for aquarium lighting - plans for building a hood?

Thanks in advance

If it's cyano then I'm afraid this will be a recurring problem until you switch to RO.. you can siphon it out all you want but it will keep coming back until there's no phosphates around to feed it.

For now you could try getting a phosphate remover and run it in a cannister or something for several days, renewing every 2 days, and then leave it in for a few weeks once the levels are low ( get a test kit! ). I believe Seachem does a good phosphate remover.

Sounds like red slime algae, which only occurs in low flow areas...increase the flow in that area of the tank. I had it before I had enough flow.

Back
Top Bottom