Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-20-2005, 11:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

algae scrubber

Does anyone here have one of these? or any pictures of one? This is the first time Ive heard of such a thing as potted plants on top of an aquarium. To be honest Im a little curious as to how it works and set one up.

http://article.dphnet.com/cat-04/algeascrubber.shtml

Old 04-21-2005, 03:00 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

bump

Old 04-21-2005, 08:20 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I've never seen one in action, but I suppose the theory behind it is that the plants (houselhold?) would absorb the excess nitrates and such from the aquarium water. As an avid gardener, I have two concerns: 1) it couldn't be used with a saltwater setup, as the salinity levels would surely kill the average/common house plants and 2) I would be very concerned about other things (fertilizers, etc) being leeched out of the plant pot and back into the aquarium.

Just my opinion.
Pressurized CO2

90 gal FW planted
2 Apistogramma inca - 15 Rummynose Tetras - 2 Discus (Blue Turquoise) - 6 Paleatus Corys - 1 Clown Loach
Emperor 400 & Eheim 2028
Pressurized CO2
Galerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:07 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
There is a plant that can be used in saltwater setups... Mangroves are used to reduce nitrate buildup. http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/nit...a/aa051398.htm
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 10:33 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have seen a couple, but not lately. I think they were the "in" thing a few years back before refugiums became popular. Basically it was a tray with macroalgae and the water would pump through at a fairly slow rate for higher contact time before dumping back to the tank or sump and it was lighted much like you would a fuge.

Inverts
Green & Red Musrooms, Pumping Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Green/Purple Ricordia, Orange Ricordia, Green Acro, Bubble Coral, Hammer Coral, Maxima Clam, Crocea Clam, peppermint shrimp, various snails and crabs.

Fish
Yellow Tang, Mated Perculas, Bicolor Blenny, Elaegant Wrasse, Possum Wrasse, Clown Goby, Purple Pseudochromis, Coral Beauty, Golden Angel
seve1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 08:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have something that works like that. I have an aquaclear300 power filter that has been modified into a fuge. One of the by-products is that the return tray has a 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick mat of algae on the entire thing. All the water must flow over and through this algae mat to return to the tank. Works the same as an algae scrubber.
http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

electrikat, do you have this on your 20 or 90 and how much of a difference does it make
Old 04-21-2005, 09:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's on the 90 and it is primarily used as a pod farm for the mandarin fish. I have not noticed any difference in the nitrates from using it. I think the idea is good but am not sure the expense for an algae scrubber is worth the supposed benefits. Mine is just a side benefit of having the pod farm and was not intended to be an algae scrubber.
http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:30 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

from what Ive been reading there are many different kinds. some have a soil base, while others have (walls) to get water passing over as much algae (surface area) as possible

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com