Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-05-2007, 09:38 PM   #11
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

The question still remains ,Did you cycle your tank?

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:54 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny09
i went to the lfs and the tested my water... everything was fine!!!...
I'd have a different LFS test the water. Preferably one that didn't sell you all the fish to start with!

If you put in 45 lbs of live rock - even if it was fully cured - and then put in a tang, 2 clowns, 4 chromis, and a goby... you're most likely going to have ammonia to some extent. Unless you got the live rock from an existing mature tank with a good bioload, then it's going to take a while for that bacteria to build up with that many fish going in all at once. (That tang is going to want a bigger tank than a 55 most likely.)

Regarding your calcium... it all depends on your brand of salt mix. If you don't know what your calcium levels are now, get a test kit and find out. Then you can make a decision on whether or not you need to add calcium. But personally, I wouldn't worry about the Ca right now... I'd be worried about that cycle that if it hasn't happened is probably just around the corner. Definitely have a fair amount (50-100% maybe?) of premixed saltwater on hand for frequent water changes.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:21 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
great picture...
Thanks for saying that.
I just took that tonight for this thread.
It took about 20 shots to get one that wasn't blurry.
I still suck at aquarium photography, and would love to know how everyone else seems to take such clear and vibrant pictures.
My photo colors always look dulled and yellowed compared to the way my tanks look in person.
Quote:
..no one has answered this question maybe u can.. do i need to add calcium or anything of that extent??
There's two schools of thought on that... take your pick.

One group says don't dose your tank with anything extra and just keep up with regular weekly water changes (10-20%), and your tank will get everything it needs in the way of trace minerals just from the new salt.

The other group says add the extra suppliments that you know your corals and shellfish are depleting from the water.

It's a personal choice, and personally I do a PWC about every 2-3 weeks and do about half the labels' recommended weekly dosage of calcium, strontium, molybdenum, iodine, PH buffer, Purple-up, and Essential Elements.

Quote:
another question wont the Maroon Gold Striped clown be to aggresive with my normal clowns... and if not i will go and buy myself a moroon clown tom and for shure tom i will get myself a clarki...
That's a chance you take.
(Btw, my maroon isn't aggressive at all, but my Clarkii is an unholy terror to anything that comes near his host.)

A 55 might be too small to keep more than one species of clown.
Of course, if you add several different young fish together, before they have a chance to establish a territory, your chances are much better.
There might be some chasing and nipping in the beginning, but so long as nobody loses any parts of their fins and they settle down in a day or two it should be ok.
If anyone does lose some fin and/or one fish obviously bullies and stresses the other then I would remove him.

Before you try it I would make sure your LFS will take back and credit you for any fish that you might have to return because they don't get along.

Of course, as someone more experienced than me said earlier, "Patience is a virtue in this hobby".
Everyone agrees that you've already rushed your tank to this point (not that I'm one to talk... I'm just as guilty of not having any self-control).
Maybe you should give it some time to adjust to the bioload and make sure you're not heading for a crash before you go making anymore major changes, hmmm?
Just my humble suggestion.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:27 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

sounds good... i will just add a clarki tommorow and leave it alone for a wile... then i will adddd more in the time to comee...
Old 01-05-2007, 10:33 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58
The question still remains ,Did you cycle your tank?
For what it's worth, I looked up his other thread about this tank and he stated that it went thru it's cycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson
I'd have a different LFS test the water. Preferably one that didn't sell you all the fish to start with!
Bwahaha. So true... Sad, but so true.
They don't seem to have given very good advice so far...
I'd definitely get a second opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson
But personally, I wouldn't worry about the Ca right now... I'd be worried about that cycle that if it hasn't happened is probably just around the corner. Definitely have a fair amount (50-100% maybe?) of premixed saltwater on hand for frequent water changes.
Just wanted to quote that.

Better safe than sorry.
Good luck.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:38 AM   #16

i did cycle my tank im more than 100% shure...
Old 01-06-2007, 11:30 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
i did cycle my tank im more than 100% shure...
the presence of NH3 and the age of the tank suggest that the tank did not experience a full cycle. Coupled with this is the fact that you added too much livestock too quickly for such a young tank. The NH3 is a sign that the tank's biological filtration can not keep up with the current bioload. Adding more livestock at this point is only going to compound the issue. My suggestions...remove the livestock and give your tank more time to develope the beneficial bacteria that is so critical for the longterm health of any tank.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:41 PM   #18
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by lando
Adding more livestock at this point is only going to compound the issue. My suggestions...remove the livestock and give your tank more time to develope the beneficial bacteria that is so critical for the longterm health of any tank.
I agree with this analysis. Too much too soon.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:48 PM   #19

I agrere I think I added to much too fast... but what can I do? I will just sit and wait!.... and I tested my water 3 diferent lfs and they all tested perfect
Old 01-07-2007, 11:42 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

On behalf of the livestock you currently have, I would suggest bringing them back to the LFS. Explain your situation and hope they cooperate. Also, get a basic test kit for NH3, NO2, NO3 and Ph. Testing at home is much easier then bringing in samples to the LFS.

Tags
amonia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com