Emergency! Sick goldfish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thanks, i saw many at amazon including the combo pH TDS meter. i already have a pH meter

Unfortunately, I am now seeing fin deterioration in the sick fish.
I have done a water change today, and I have been treating the water with Melafix.

I will be out of town for a week. I will have to leave instructions for a friend on what to do, and hope that nothing happens when I am away.

I am unsure of what to do at this point, seeing that he is not getting better.
I do not want him to suffer more than he has to, but I do not want to lose hope that he will improve.

Oh, Saul, I’m so very sorry to hear this. It’s not your fault, you did everything right.
I have no idea if they suffer or how much. I do know people euthanize fish with clove oil, forgot details, but I have a bottle hidden away where I don’t have to look at it, but know it’s there. I think you’ll know when/if the time has come.

I believe that I may have to.

I will have to order the clove oil, and that will give me a few more days to recognize any progress atleast.

That’s reasonable. I’ve read people euthanize fish by freezing them as well, & have no idea if they’re equally human. That is an unpleasant subject & I avoid reading about sad stuff.

He ate today, good sign. He is swimming as well, although weakly.

Awesome! I have always felt that he made it this long was positive. Here’s hoping for the very best! I basically quit the goldfish and GloFish FB groups because so many people don’t know how to care for their fish and they were often dying within 1-2 days.

I have been updated by my friend that the fish are currently alive, and eating well.. especially the "fat orange one."

All is well for now, and I will continue to come here for advice in the future.

Terrific news, Saul! I was always optimistic because these guys lasted so long. Yay! For that fat orange one. I have a few of my own like that.

This is a long thread and new people with a similar issue might be interested in what you did to fix the problem. Can you let them know what you did to fix the issue?

Of course.
The fish have improved greatly.

Frequent water changes helped, 1-2 times a day. I treated the water with Melafix for a week or so.
The fish seemed more comfortable and less stressed in the tank, so I stopped using the temporary holding.

I continued to check the water temperature frequently, because my fish prefer warmer water. I had cut back on feeding as well, and slowly introduced it again.

It really just took time.

Yay, Saul!

Attachments

• 5FBBDD82-0765-4B89-9D6E-92150ABD4ECD.jpeg
    5FBBDD82-0765-4B89-9D6E-92150ABD4ECD.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom