Anenome Problem ??PLEASE HELP??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OceanMist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently bought a bubble tip anenome for my clown who is getting picked by a damsel, in the store it was on the gravel and removed by the manager carfully, it stuck to the edge of the bag and looked really healthy, i took a big risk here because i already lost one of the same species a couple of months back, i placed it on a rock and it had stuck in a few mins, next time i look its gone right behind the rocks, iv'e tried to block off any light getting round the back of the rocks to encourage it out buts its not really helping.

- to get to the point, is there any way i can get it out (without moving all my rocks which have corals on) ??

Btw: what i can see of it looks really healthy.

I'd let it alone. By moving it, you'll only stress it out and by prying it off the rocks, you take a chance of damaging it. It needs time to settle in. It will come out eventually.

these are delicate creatures and they will go where they want and there is nothing we can do about it. If its new it could take a few days to a week for it to adjust to your tank. The anemone will come out when it needs light..

Mine is typically behind my rocks. Every once in a while he'll move up the wall a bit. I don't know how folks get their anemone to be in a sunny spot, but mine will have nothing of it!

I hope you have better luck with yours!

You can also slowly increase the flow in the area that it is and it will most likely move. The key is SLOWLY over a couple of weeks. Don't direct a powerhead at it directly.

Mine has finally moved after being sucked on by my powerhead. It is now stuck to the front of the tank pointing to the back. Looks like a big yellow booger on the glass. Oh well atleast he is happy and still alive after the ph incident.

I think it has settled in a crevice between two rocks, it has no water movement and little light where it has chosen,

is it possible it will starve itself of light and die ?? or will it move if it dosen't like its situation ??

I wouldn't think it would starve it's self but it also will not move to conditions not favorable to it. I would not worry too much on it. It will find somehwere it likes in it's own time. Just try changing the flow gently around it's rock and that might entice it to move. Or just to move further into the rock you just never know with them.

BTAs will do what they want when they want. If they move someplace that you don't like, you don't have much say about it. My BTA walks around constantly, right now, he's so far back in the rocks that my clown can hardly get to it.

i have 3 anemones. my rose sits right in this little hole facing the front in full light with his clown. The 2nd atlantic is kinda shaded under a peice of my LR but you can still see him. and my neon green BTA has decided to camp out behind a large outcropping in mostly the shade. he hasnt moved from that spot since i put him in the tank and he ended up there. they will hop around and go where ever they please. Just make sure you got some sponges over your powerheads or you may loose one.

thanks for the advice, one more Question,

Its starting to look unhealthy now which is worrying me because i really can't move my rocks to get it out,

its leaving 'stringy' looking stuff wherever it moves, is this normal for a moving anenome or could it be its tissue disintegrating ?? its confusing me becuse it dosen't look like its damaged and is still gripping rocks and moving around, TIA.

Sometimes when they get aggitated they may have an ooze like discharge. Things to pay attention to are: Is it normal in color ? Are its tenticles inflated ? some are some arent ? sometimes when they digest food they will shrivel up till they are done then come back to normal.

If its tenticles are deflated then think " when was the last time this thing had anything to eat? " If it needs to be fed, shut down your powerheads, grab a peice of whole krill and put it eaither in its tenticles, or directly on its mouth. They should only have large feedings like this every FEW WEEKS at the most. Its prety common for people to over feed them and they die.

I can't tell the colour because i can barely see it! but from what i can see is that its tentacles are inflated.

I bought it only a few days ago, how often do they need to be fed ??

is it normal for a Bubble tip to leave a stringy trail where it moves or is this something to worry about ??

It needs a minimum of about a week to get aclimated. Dont worry about it. Just let it roam around your tank for a few weeks.

Btw: it can only recently have been fed at the store because yesterday it expelled an eaten shrimp.

Please try to answer my questions the previous post

TIA

After they eat any type of fish or animal that had bones, it will expell the bones after digestion. id shoot for non boney animals to feed it, and usally stick with krill. The stringy discharge is normal. Leave him alone for a few weeks and let him find his spot. Typically id say feed them once every 3-4 weeks unless they show signs showing otherwise. ( if it gets all deflated and looks like hell for a few days and not being picked on by any fish or inverts, give it a peice of krill.

Just an update on my BTA, the thing is actually very healthy, but is still behind the rocks and I think it has decided to stay put, and then when I thought it couldn't get much worse - my maroon clown FINALLY finds his new home! so now I can't see my anenome or my clown ...... oh well, at least they're happy! :roll:

yaaay. Now depending on how fast you want the anemone to grow, you can feed him every 14 days or so. If you want him to grow quickly shoot for every 7 days.

Back
Top Bottom