Anyone has a flame angel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheRealFF

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im lookin at purchasing a flame angle for my 30G nano-reef once everything is settled (fishes and inverterbrates being returned :(, more clean-up members, 0 phosphates+nitrates). I will definitely have 2 clownfishes, a few soft/hard/SPS/shrooms corals, tubeworms, sea squirts, starfishes, crabs, shrimps, snails, hermits crabs. About the 2 other fishes that i currently have (mandarin + scooter blenny) im not sure if im gonna keep them (still debating).

Anyways, do u think a flame angel would do well in my tank? Anyone had had problem with it being aggressive and damage corals?

Tremedous appreciation to anyone who cares to help :)

I'm sorry but you really need to slow down. It seems like every other post you make is about some new aquisition. STOP! Spend a bit just stabalizing your tank. Observe it...clean it...enjoy it...stop trying to add stuff to it.

Angelfish are not to be added lightly. They require discipline and diligence and I'm sorry but it doesn't appear that you have developed those yet. It seems that it's time you realize that these are living creatures. They have needs and wants that you need to fill. I think out of all my pets I feel most responsible for my fish because I completely control their environment. I've been biting my tongue reading all of your posts but I finally can't contain it any longer. Please take some time and just learn. Read books, read forums, talk to people. Experience your tank, don't just own it. I don't let a day pass that I don't learn something from my tank. If you're not doing this you are really missing out on the best part.

You keep saying how sorry you are for not listening to people that are trying to help...so listen already. Take the next month and just appreciate your tank. Don't add or even think about adding anything else. As aquariums go it seems you have bit off quite a mouthful already so just work with that.

I wish you luck, I really, really do but please...enough already.

I would have to agree... i too have been reading some of your posts and standing back and letting the pieces fall where they may. but seriously, you need to slow down. maybe your rich and can afford to throw away money, or maybe you dont have the same respect for a fish that you would have for a dog or cat, or maybe it is something else that is driving you to do sooo much in such a short amount of time.

please, take the advice that has been presented to you by the numerous people that frequent this forum, and whatever other forums you post to.

and FYI, i do practice what i preach. my 55 gallon tank has been up for over a year, and i have only 2 perc. clowns, 1 goby, and 1 blenny in the there. i waited about 2 months after my rock was added to put in my first fish, and i waited another 2 months after that to add the others. and yes, all were quarantined. will i add more, yes, but it takes time. in this hobby patience is a virtue.

i hope all turns out well for you, and remember bad things happen fast.

~mike

RealFF,

I chimed in on your madarin post and it sounds to me like you are a newbie aquarist making newbie mistakes. First a 30 gallon reef is barely large enough for a flame angel. They are hardy by angel standards but angels are by no means hardy and have specialty food requirments. In addition to that in that small of an enviroment I would assume that flame is going to snack on corals and other sessile inverts.

You said in another post your tank was 3 weeks old. It can take 40 or more days for a saltwater aquarium to be ready to support full blown aquatic life - at 3 weeks you are taking some serious chances.

RealFF, in my opinion, you are shooting yourself in the foot. You are new to this, and need all the help you can get. With this ongoing style of posting, you are going to segregate yourself because people will eventually stop paying attention to your posts. I would hate to see that happen, much can be learned on this site. Right now, I think many people check your posts just to see what your current flavour of the week is.... The novelty will soon wear out though, it's already started to wear thin for me.

Sounds to me like you really need to either stop and settle on some smaller fish or invest in a bigger tank. I have a 75gallon that has been up and running since last August or so and I only have two fish right now. Just slow down and really put some thought and research into what you want. People around here can really help you come up with a good list to stock your aquarium with. They really know what they are doing, just trust them and remember a cardinal rule. Don't trust the advice of an LFS.

All great advice given...I do hope you listen to it. A flame angel and a reef just do not mix well. Chances are it will nip at your corals. These fish are not considered reef safe.

The flames are aggressive fish. In that small of a tank, he could really start picking on the clowns and cause them to cower in a corner.

Yes sirs, no angel for me. Im listening. NO ANGEL yes.
It is a good thing. I was getting ready to PM Afilter. :lol: On a side note I do have a flame angle in a reef with no issues but my tank is slightly larger than 30 gallons. Do not take that as a suggestion to get one.

Nice to pick on the new guys (grin) I have a flame angel in my 75 and it is doing well. He does have other large fish in there (1 yellow tang and some type of damsel) and I was thinking I might add 2 clarkiis, but that all, and it is a much larger tank!

I have a flame angel in my 50-gallon. He's the largest fish in the tank and he loves to swim. I think I would feel bad keeping one in anything much smaller than that. Then again, could just be my particular fish. Funny to see him charge in and break up the party when my chromies are having a squabble too :)

Back
Top Bottom