Stocking a fluval osaka 155 (41 gallon tank)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jenni8675309

Aquarium Advice Regular
I everyone.

My Newley purchased tank will be arriving tomorrow, if all goes well.
It is a fluval osaka 155, that I have wanted for quite sometime.

HI will be going reef.

Here is a kinda of idea for the stocking. I realize I have lots of time before I will be buying any fish... Just trying to do my homework ;)

I thought the fist one would be either a
Green chromis
Or blue sapphire damsel
(cheap and if I do not have ideal parameters at first, not a big loss)

2 clown fish

Dwarf angel-
1 lemon peel
1 Pygmy cherub

Blennys
1 orange throat pikeblenny
1 stary ? Or tailspot, sand hopper... Or something, not sure yet... Wanted the red scooter, but that says difficult :(

Gobys
Catalina
Watchman & pistol shrimp

Emerald crab, possibly 2 or another type of crab or a purple lobster, or blue lobster.

Additional Options
Spotted cardinal / pajama cardinal
Longnose Hawkish
Another dwarf angel, possibly a flame?

Or possibly, when needed a lettuce sea hare or starfish.

Any input is appreciated.

I'd stay away from the damsel. They're awfully aggressive and will taunt the other fish on your stock-list. The chromis are a lot more peaceful with other fish (at times not so much with themselves either). The chromis also school if that's a feature you're looking for.

The issue with a red scooter, and mandarins, is that they eat pods. They require a large and established tank to provide the fish with enough pods that will reproduce etc. If anything, I enjoy my starry blenny. He's an interesting character that loves to hide around rocks.

As for reef lobsters, they are pretty iffy. Some never bother other corals and inverts, while some of the exact species will. Hopefully someone with direct experience can chime in on reef lobsters.

Good call on your watchman & pistol shrimp. My suggestion would be to get both around the same size. It tends to make them easier to pair up.

You'll probably have to keep to 1 dwarf angel though. Keep an eye on them as they are not completely reef safe. My first flame angel picked at my clam. I returned him and tried with another. No issues with this one so far. It's kind of hit or miss.

Good luck! Post pics when you can!

Yeah, thinking of skipping the lobsters & getting some other kind of Shrimp?

So you think 2 Dwarf angles would not work? I really like the pygmy cherub & the lemon peel.

I have a coral beauty and a flame angel in my 150 gallon. I put them in at the same time and they are doing fine. I think if you have enough space and they are around the same size and you put them in at the same time you should be ok.

I just saw it was a 40 gallon. You can try the two angels but be prepared to bring one back. Not sure that will be enough room they will compete for areas.

I think 2 dwarfs is asking for trouble in a 40g reef. Dwarfs are known to nip at corals...and in a small space they will most likely fight each other as well. You can try and see what happens. Just be prepared to take both back to the LFS just in case.

Instead of a reef lobster, maybe try another type of crab or shrimp? I love my sally lightfoot crab. It's an interesting flat crab. Maybe an arrow crab, or porcelain crab?

Also the Catalina goby is a colder water fish. It prefers water temperature at 60-70. They will live in warmer waters but not for very long. I hated that because I wanted one myself but two friends had them and they only lasted 6 months in the warmer waters. Have you heard of anyone keeping them in warm waters and they lived longer?

I'd personally stay away from any angels if I were going reef...but that is my personal opinion. I'd rather have the corals than a fish that might pick at them. If this tank is a 40 gallon like I think it is, this is what I have in my 36 gallon: Royal Gamma, Blue Damsel, Chalk Bass, 6 line Wrasse, Neon Goby, Watchman Goby, Occy Clown. Keep in mine, I am one fish over what I should have. Only reason I attempt this is due to the Watchman having his own little cave and the small size of the Neon Goby, and that he cleans off my other fish. After this, people will chime in about the damsel being aggressive and that the 6 line can be as well, but the most aggressive in my tank is my royal gamma, but it is only "get out of my little territory" stuff at this moment. Everyone appears to have figured out their own little places in the world.

Thanks Guys, I will do more research on it, have lots of time while the tank cycles ;)

So bummed, originally wanted tangs... but, I have no where for such a long tank... the dwarf angles are a good alternative IMO, to the look of the tang for a smaller tank.

Seams like with any of it, I am finding different answers on the reef compatibility. Most say "with caution"
:banghead:

Liveaquaria is a great place to do research on what is compatable I use it all the time

What about this one:
White Tailed Pygmy

Also known as the Pacific Pygmy Angel. Its a hardy fish and will do great in the aquarium.The Centropyge Genus are made up of smaller fish that feed primarilyon algae from the reef surface. These smaller Angels areoften seen milling around reefs which they use for both shelter and as a foodsource.

Looks like a winner to me. In the end, it's up to you really. Is that a fish you would like to have?

Back
Top Bottom