Bakpak 2 mod

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nguyen27

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello again,
Any one got idea on how to silent the bakpak 2? with the Rio600 running and the little tube sucking air from outside making the bakpak 2 running quite loud, I tried different lenght of the muffler tube but doesn't seem to work, I just unplug the tube for now and that seem to quiet :) May be I just dump in several air stones instead?
Thanks

If you have a maxi jet powerhead they come with a small air silencer that works great for silencing ther skimmer air intake.

The Maxi Jet powerhead silencers work well, I have it on mine, but the best thing to do is to attach about 3 feet of silicon airline tubing (silicon is the green tubing).

I did this to mine and the difference is amazing.

you do need that tube plugged in though if you want your skimmer to work. and airstones won't cut the mustard.

So, what do I need to get this thing going, I don't have a spare MaxiJet, or anything related. I'm looking not to over kill my 15G with the MaxiJet 1200 :)
Let me know what parts is needed for the mods!
Thanks

all you really need is, like I said, about 3 feet or a bit more of silicone airline tubing. use that instead of the tubing supplied with the skimmer. that will cut down sound alot. then you can take your time and check out all your local pet stores for air control valves.

The tubing will be the most effective way to reduce noise. it should be available at all your fine pet stores.

Stick a wooden airstone on the end of the air intake line. It works well to quite the suction noise.

Thanks for the tips guys,
I tried the silicone tubes and a wooden air stone but that doesn't seem to help much. Any other sugguestion? And also how quiet is the MaxiJet and the air venturi kit compare to the Rio+Mods?
Thanks

If the silicon tube and air stone isnt working, than maybe you are hearing the bubbles in the chamber? Those do make alot of noise, but there is nothing to be done about it. You gotta have those bubbles if you want it to work.

It's just the slight downside of owning a skimmer.

Back
Top Bottom