Balancing act...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

midiman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK I have my tank set up and cycling with a dead shrimp, and a 20 gallon container full of water in the opposite corner of the room. Now I'm working to keep the pH and temp of the two together ( :?: is it worth putting some sand in the bottom of my storage can to help buffer the solution, or is a sea buffer the way to go?)

Right now they're both at 81 degrees. I'll step it down a bit today, but even here there is contradictory advice re: correct temperature. I've read anywhere from 74 - 82 degrees.

:?: Any strong opinions out there?

:?: Actually, while we're on it, what are the "correct" reading for pH, hardness, and temperature?

(I know, I've read it several times, but you guys are DOING it, so I'm asking. :)

I would shoot for a temp of 80f, ph of 8.2 and ALK around 10dkh. Remember that stablilty is more important than hitting a specific number as long as you are in the right range.

If you are storing premixed SW in your container there should be no need to buffer it as the salt mix should do that. If it is RO or DI replacement water the answer is yes you need to buffer.

:?: Do you happen to know the formula to convert from meq/l to dKh? I know I have it somehwere :? .

:?: Does 10dKh correspond to 3.5 meq/l (+ or -) ??

Sorry for the VERY technical question. I'm nearly to the point of saturation on my learning curve for this new hobby, but I'm truly enjoying every minute of it.

Back
Top Bottom