Battery backup???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David S

Aquarium Advice Addict
Has anyone tried/using a ups for backup in case of power failure on a sump pump or maybe a heater?
Would they work,if so how long would they last?

I've thought about this also. I wouldn't want a reef system to tank during an extended outage. Pretty much what I've heard is that anything over a couple hours will likely damage the system and about 6 hours you can pretty much forget it.

Being an Electrical Engineer, I know that most battery backup systems that you can buy in your local Wal-Mart or Target stores (APC comes to mind) that are strictly battery backup will provide essentially a square wave output when operating (versus a sine wave from the power company), and most pump equipment could potentially be damaged under such a power source - they're just not designed to operate on that type of power. So I would think that at most, you would just want to select one power head to put on battery backup and make sure you have enough established Live Rock in the system to support biological conversion during an outage.

As far as the time frame, it's simply a function of battery capacity versus demand. A small power head (Hydor Koralia 2 or 3) could probably run for an hour or so I'm guessing (totally guessing) which would probably get you through a short term outage.

If you wanted to run the main pump off a backup system, I would think the ONLY way to do it would be to do it right, and buy a "True" Online Double-Conversion UPS. This device takes the input from the power company, converts it to DC, then back to AC to the equipment it supplies power to. The batteries are charged on the DC side. This type of unit provides a nice clean sine wave (it also cleans up the utility power signal so you will extend the life of your equipment) but it also costs quite a bit - usually $300 to $500. You will usually get longer running time also, since these are designed to keep a larger piece of equipment running, such as a computer server long enough to keep the system running during a short-term outage, and with enough time to perform a proper system shut-down once the batteries start to run out.

A heater would probably not be a good choice of equipment to run on a battery backup system. Your tank temp will not drop to the danger point during a short-term outage of a couple hours. Keeping the water moving in the system is what is most critical.

If you have a long-term outage, then you have a whole different set of problems. Really the only sure-fire method of protection from a long-term outage is to buy a backup emergency generator and connect it to your electrical panel. Ideally, you could run a separate panel from your main panel in your house dedicated to your reef aquarium, and when you have an outage you could throw the breaker and connect the generator to the aquarium panel, then when power comes back on you shut the generator down and close the breaker and you're back to normal.

I guess your method of backup power really depends on 1) $$$ 2) the possibility of long-term outage in your area. If you live in a remote area, it probably should be part of your design. If you live in a big city, probably not as much of a chance of a 6 hour outage, but I live in Des Moines, Iowa and we have ice storms every couple years that take out power and there's no way to tell where and for how long.

Well that was probably more than you wanted but I'm pretty bored today...

I`ve heard also the same thing that you could only run a powerhead and only for a few hours.

get a generator and sleep well. i've used mine 4 times since i bought it. 1 time was only for a couple hours, but the other three would have been tank killers. plus, i ran the fridge and the tv/blue ray/surround on it too. gotta love the neighbors sitting in the dark while you are enjoying yourself. they always come over and ask to charge their cell phones...lol. you would think they'd break down and spend a few hundred just to not have to throw away all of their frozen foods again and again.

i did buy one of these for the gym tank though.
Air-Pod Battery Back-up Air Pump | Battery Operated Air Pumps | Air Pumps & Supplies | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com
this will save the tank if an emergency arises.

get a generator and sleep well. i've used mine 4 times since i bought it. 1 time was only for a couple hours, but the other three would have been tank killers. plus, i ran the fridge and the tv/blue ray/surround on it too. gotta love the neighbors sitting in the dark while you are enjoying yourself. they always come over and ask to charge their cell phones...lol. you would think they'd break down and spend a few hundred just to not have to throw away all of their frozen foods again and again.

i did buy one of these for the gym tank though.
Air-Pod Battery Back-up Air Pump | Battery Operated Air Pumps | Air Pumps & Supplies | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com
this will save the tank if an emergency arises.

So is it enough to just run an air pump to break the surface tension and keep O2 levels up? I figured that you would need to circulate the water a little more than that.

that pump has 2 outputs and is pretty strong. the reason the fish die is lack of oxygen. i am confident this will save their lives. i don't think they will have an optimum situation, but i would much rather have that then nothing.
the power outage that pushed me to purchase the generator for my home killed all the fish except the maroon clown and the algae blenny, but not a coral lost.
i'm not too concerned with flow in a situation like this.

so you always leave that plugged in? btw, i googled the xantrex and they still sell them.
Amazon.com: Xantrex XPower Powerpack 400 Plus Portable Backup Power Source: Automotive

Nope... that's not it. That's the "Powerpack", and I'm specifically talking about the "PowerSource". The "Powerpack 400" has considerable less capacity than the "PowerSource". Last I checked, there were still a few "PowerSource 400" floating around the resellers, but Xantrex has discontinued them. When they *were* being sold, I picked up two at BestBuy for about $150. Really cheap considering how many amp-hours the thing puts out.

Anyway... yeah, I leave it plugged in all the time. It takes care of the essentials if I'm not at home and lose power. Or if I am home and don't want to go hook up the generator right away, and wait it out. But I *do* have a nice little Honda generator to run things, just in case. I've used it a couple times. Too much invested in the tank to do otherwise.

Yup... that's the one.

I still scratch my head that they didn't sell like hotcakes. Don't think they advertised very well. I mean... from the standpoint of powering a computer, most UPSs will only run long enough to get you shut down in an orderly manner... 10-15 minutes. That Xantrex unit could let you work for 6-8 hours running your computer, printer, and a desk lamp! And they were about the same price as that 10-15 minute UPS. Even if they doubled their price and sold them for $300+, they'd still be a bargain for the capacity they offered.

Here's a back-up idea that will work in an emergency and isn't too expensive: Get a power inverter designed to work off your car battery. They come in 250W & up -size it to the equipment you need to run in an outage. Get one that has clips that connect directly to your auto battery terminals (not the one that works thru the cig lighter only). When the power goes out, you hook it to the car battery, start the car, and plug in an extension cord to the unit's AC plug and then to your pumps (or perhaps a small heater) & you're good to go. So you're basically using your car as a generator (keep the car outside, not your garage!). If it's cold you need to figure out a way to run the cord into the house without creating a huge draft and losing heat. I ran mine thru a small window and used painter's tape to close it off. To keep heat in the tank, consider buying a few quilted mover's blankets (very cheap) to cover the tank to reduce heat loss a little bit. Of course these ideas require you to actually be there to take action in the event of a power loss, and in some areas it might not be a good idea to have an unattended car running all night. If you are a boater, you may have deep cycle marine batteries at your disposal. Unlike car batteries which are designed for high amp starting power, these provide longer continuous power. They can be linked to form a bank and an converter can turn them into a DIY UPS.

Back
Top Bottom