Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-25-2005, 10:24 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Gramma
I have been using IO for years. But with the advice of the most knowledgable Coral grower I know. He said that the Tropic Marin was extremely stable in its mix and that additives (other than possibly Kalkwasser) would never be necessary for even the toughest corals.

So I bought a big-ol-bucket and I have been using it for about 2 weeks.

I have not tested the CA / PH in it before use, I'll do that for ya in a couple of days when I do my PWC.

I am curious now, I don't see many that mentioned this salt. Does anyone else have an opinion on it. TIA

Devilishturtles, if you are using tap water I would think your CA would be much higher than RO/DI. I tested my tap water and it was high. I bought an RO unit like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Reef-6st-125...verse-Osmosis-RO-DI-Water-Filters_W0QQitemZ4412464989QQcategoryZ20684QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem for only $59.

Best Wishes

Mark
Tropic Marin is my second in line choice to Aqua Craft.

Old 10-25-2005, 10:29 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Activist

I use Tropic Marin salt after the lfs here recommended it to me. I have not been in this hobby long enough to be able to say if it is good or bad, but it seems to dissolve very well and other than very low ca (300ppm or less) and having to add an alk buffer, I guess it is fine. It is expensive though, 100 bucks for the 200gal pail. If I wanted to switch brands, what is the best method?

Old 10-25-2005, 10:41 AM   #33
AA Team Emeritus

When I started I was using Reef Crystals (same producer as IO, with slightly difference trace element levels). I had no problems and thought it worked great. I switched about 6-8 months ago to CoraLife as I couldn't get a resonable price/volume on reef crystals locally and there was a great deal on the bucket of CoraLife.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do when this bucket runs out... When I started using it I tested the levels of a fresh mix and was happy with the results (sorry, too long ago to remember exactly what the results were)
Old 10-25-2005, 11:30 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
WOW..!!! This is turning out to be a killer thread fokes! Thanks alot.. Keep em comming.. :P :P :P :P
Old 10-25-2005, 11:46 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Royal Gramma my lfs uses Tropic Marin and I buy their premixed water. It's very consistent.

In my earlier post I mentioned my interest in this thread because I was trying to identify a salt that wasn't $85/200 gal bucket, given I've ordered a RO/DI unit and will be mixing my own. The lfs that sells me Tropic Marin water also suggested Reefpure ($40/200 gal bucket). They said it's a new product that tests very consistently.

This thread, like the others, seem to be a discussion of IO vs. Oceanic. Don't get me wrong - it's not a criticism, I love this place . Just that those two brands reap such a large portion of the market, it's hard to get inputs on other brands.

From the input, seems to me that IO and Oceanic are so inconsistent that I may want to just spring the $$ for Tropic Marin. IMO, consistency is most important. Then, at least you know what you have each week and how to address it.
runway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 11:53 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

I see it this way.. If they (IO and Ocianic) have a large share of the maket.. then they will have a large share of the responces. Im sure some people use other brands.. In fact there have been responces showing that.. Im sure if someone is using the brands your intrested in runway1 they will post about them.. just give them time.. this thread isnt two days old yet..
Old 10-25-2005, 11:57 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireworks
If I wanted to switch brands, what is the best method?
Run out of one and start with another I would assume the differences in almost every area should be minimal if you mix it 24 hours and let it ariate to raise the O2.

I think what most everyone here is keying on is the level of CA and the Alk level. Both imho can be fixed easily with Kalk and a good quality buffer if needed.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:19 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

reading the report on the link givin earlier..
http://www.aquacraft.net/index.html
the scientific analysis seems on the up and up..
and the results look pretty scarry on the salts being used.. 8O IO, Tropic Marine, Reef Crystals, Kent
the testing was done before Ocianic came on the market..
is anyone useing one of the recomended salts by this S-15 report?
has anyone seen or tryed.. Coral Marine? BIO-SEA? Marine Enviroment?

ok.. I can see that all of the high scoring salts in that "report" are made and sold by the company getting the testing done.. but it seems like if this kind of analisis can be done for 600 bucks or so per. salt being tested.. why hasnt another manifacture countered by getting this done? hmmm.. it seems like they might be on to something..
Old 10-25-2005, 02:23 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok.. im slow today.. sayuncle.. it seems your using the Marine Enviroment and I missed that.. yea.. those result were pretty nice looking..
ok.. here they are.. LOL

Old 10-25-2005, 02:29 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayuncle
Tropic Marin is my second in line choice to Aqua Craft.
Why not Marine Art or New Ocean? Those seem to be next recomended by Aqua Craft's S-15 report?

Tags
salt, salt mix

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com