bio balls?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sango

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im just curious on how many of you have removed your bio balls from your wet/dry and put the LR in the bottom? How long have you run your system like this? Any problems?...

I removed my bio balls about 4 months ago from mine. Nitrates went down, and the system seems to be more stable. No problems other than making sure the water is topped off so the lr won't be exposed to dryness.

Mike

Is there anybody out there that has had them out for atleast a year or longer? Im just curious if this will work in the long run

For some nine years on my twin Eel tanks, i had bio balls from the start and never any problems with nitrates :D

The only time those tanks had any nitrate readings were when after setup from start. :D

Buddy ><{{{{">

I have had mine out or a good six months. No problem with nitrates. Using LR rubble in the sump instead of bioballs is just like using LR in your tank. I can not think of a single long-term problem with it.

I have the same setup. I also have about 40lbs or lr in my tank. Im just hoping that this method is good for the long run aswell for the short run.

What is the recommended amount of lr to have per gallon of water? I'm in the process of adding lr to my tank and I was wondering about how much I needed (and when my wallet is going to get some rest).

What is the recommended amount of lr to have per gallon of water?
It depends on the intended use of the LR is. If you are using the LR for primary biological filtraion (recommended) then you should have between 1.5-2lbs/gal.

Back
Top Bottom