Brown algea tiring me out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soccerdude

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently upgraded my lights to an 8 bulb ho t5 system on my 46g. The brown algae is just taking off over the sand and acrylic. My water quality is perfect right now so I'm guessing it's just from the lights. Any tricks to get it to go away? Could more flow help?

What kind of flow do you have? You may want to add some linear flow powerheads and a wave maker if you don't already have one. Don't do to much to the water other than normal water changes and add water flow and it should go away.

I'm definitely going to get some more flow goin cause I've only got one power head at the moment.

Get a lot of flow and get a good Hydora or Sicce or Cobalt These can be used with wave makers I would put 3 or 4 in your tank. I have 6 in a 29 gallon 4 hooked to a Red Sea Wave Maker one of these powers my HOB refugium so I get a tide in my refugium. 2 are small Tamm Rios behind my live rock to blow off dirt.

Im having the same problem and it's totally killing the look of my tank. Has anyone ever used those ultraviolet sterilizers? I used one in my fresh water to clear up a algae bloom / green water problem and it said you can use it on salt water as well. Sorry if this is a dumb question im new to the saltwater world and learning everyday.

I Don't recommend UV sterilizers in reef tanks it kills the photo plankton and good bacteria that your reef needs, lots of water flow and good filtration in the key. Also the proper amount of live rock for your tank seize ( more never hurts). Are you using carbon?, I would recommend it.

No carbon ill grab some, i have about 40lbs of live rock in my 55 gal. I have two koralia wave pumps, one 750 gph and one 240 gph. I did not pop for the wave maker yet. You guys think i need even more wave pumps?

But thanks for the advice i did not think of that with that UV Sterilizer

I have 50 lbs of live rock in my 29, Also make sure you rinse the carbon first or you will have a cloudy tank for a week. Beneficial alges in your refugium and sump with reverse lighting of your aquariums lights this will stabilize your tanks oxygen levels and ph. That will keep nuisance alge out of your tank. A good clean up crew helps too.

Back
Top Bottom